Sunday, April 30, 2017

Totally in Love!

The Scrap Vortex quilt is FINISHED!  
The photos aren't great because it was late in the day and I had to fiddle with the camera's exposure settings, it was 5 degrees outside, and it was windy. But it's done!
Oh how I love thee, let me count the ways...

1) First of all, I love that it is a finished, useable quilt (instead of a UFO sitting in a closet). I am proud of my efforts to move it constantly forward to completion.

2) I love the asterisk corners and think that creative spark is growing into another whole quilt idea.

3) I love the metaphor that scrap quilts are. All those tiny bits of fabric have joined with their friends to become something amazing! That is the power of a group, and the beauty of a mosaic, with the strengths of each part contributing to the beauty of the whole.

4) I love that the quilt began with a quiltalong at Crazy Mom Quilts, and the quilting design also came from Crazy Mom Quilts! The spiral quilting is perfect for the vortex theme, and I am relieved at how flat this quilt is in spite of all those tiny pieces, bias edges, and intense quilting... there were a lot of variables to manage in this project. This is the back of the quilt, made from two pieces of yardage joined for a simple backing with two seams.

I like this terrible photo because it shows the wind and camera exposure elements I battled to get a good photo. At least I was able to get some shots before the rain started.
Ahh the trials of a quilt blogger.... LOL!

I am so excited to be able to post my finish over at the One Monthly Goal link up! Woo hoo!

30 comments:

berylthepearl said...

your photo in the wind is most appropriate! Love everything about this one!

Ariane said...

This quilt is amazing!!! I love that you wrote scrap vortex on it and then added the circle quilting. So appropriate! An amazing finish!!!

Sally Langston Warren said...

Oh it's beautiful!! You have inspired me to make one too! I saw Amanda Jean's too and marveled at the spiral quilting. I have started sewing my tiny scraps and crumbs together. I love your backing and the outdoor photographs. If you have any helpful suggestions on piecing this top and/or on spiral quilting, please let us know!! Congratulations on your finish! Enjoy!

Ivani said...

Uh-hu!!! Congrats for hit your goal. Very well done!

julieQ said...

I love all those things, and the circular vortex quilting just made it even more fabulous!! Yahoo for you!!

Missy Shay said...

I love your quilt and the quilting is amazing. The asterix corners are the perfect touch!

Margaret said...

Congrats!!

Lisa J. said...

Awesome finish Kathy! Can't wait to see it in person.

AnnieO said...

Congrats!! UFO finish equals many happy hours spent with one project! Wow, 5 degrees, that's cold whether Celsius or not.

Janet O. said...

WooHoo!! Doing the Happy Dance on your behalf, Kathy! It looks glorious flapping in the breeze!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Yahoo! It's done! Wonderful finish.

margaret said...

what a great finish and the spiral has worked beautifully

Jill said...

Congrats on The finish of your pretty and functional scrap quilt. It's always a bonus when it lays flat.

Angie said...

Congrats on a fabulous finish!!

Quilting Babcia said...

Perfectly fabulous finish, and I really admire your perseverence sewing all those tiny bits together!

Patty said...

Wow! I just love this. I think I will start sewing my little scraps together instead of storing them. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Robin said...

Your right, the spiral design fits this quilt perfectly. It kind of draws me in like a black hole. (That's a good thing.) I love how it turned out. Nice job!

Sarah Aldrich said...

I love that spiral quilting. Did you do it free motion or walking foot? Would love more info on it!

Deanna W said...

I knew you could do it!!! hurrray!! That picture looks great and looks like the quilt is about to take flight!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fantastic finish -- love, love, love this quilt!!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great finish! If you'd tried to photo it here, it would have been in the pouring rain.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Awesome finish!! Congratulations!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love love love this quilt! I just finished my own scrap vortex and hope to share it Friday. Scrappy quilts are the best!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Such a fun quilt and the circular quilting is the perfect finish--congrats!!

beaquilter said...

this is awesome! you need to enter it into a show!

Cathy said...

One of the best Scrap Vortexes I've ever seen! Congrats.

audrey said...

LOVE your finish! There is something incredibly satisfying about finishing up a total scrap attack type quilt. So much virtue! lol The spiral quilting is perfect!

Kate said...

It's been fun to watch this quilt come together and how you handle each creative challenge. Thanks for sharing the process. Congrats on the finish.

Kristin said...

Congratulations! That is a truly amazing accomplishment! Woooooo-Hoooooo!!!!!!!

Ellen said...

Absolutely gorgeous - you did such a great job on this quilt!