Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Finished Quilt!

I am so happy that I finished my UFO this month! This quilt is called Triangle Stars and was started on a Shop Hop in 2014. It was such a great shop hop experience... you could buy a package of triangles at each quilt store and there were many unique samples of how to use the triangles in various projects. My quilt is based on some of those samples.  
This picture was taken on one of the binding sessions down by the river as it was being finished on the weekend.
I didn't know it when I started this quilt, but it is quite challenging to sew an entire quilt from triangles, since there were are lot of bias seams, a ton of seams to match, and all the seam intersections are very thick. But it is completed now and I am very proud of all of my hard work on this one.


Although the piecing was very challenging, the quilting part was great fun. Most of the quilting was done in white thread, but I really enjoyed choosing the thread for each of the coloured triangles.




I quilted approximately 1/4" on both sides of every seam in the quilt, which gave it lovely texture.

I have never made a quilt with this much white before. The background triangles are white, the backing is a piece of solid white yardage, and the binding is white. I wonder how long it will actually look clean?!




Here is the finished quilt! 
I tried to make a tumbling block using light, medium and darks in the centre of each star and I'm happy with how that turned out.
I'm so excited that it's actually a finished quilt AND that it's finished one day before the end of the month!
Finished size: 53" x 60.5"

To see more UFO completions, hop over to One Monthly Goal linkup.

31 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what a beauty of a quilt - great job on it.

Janet O. said...

A great success here, Kathy!
I especially admire your patience with all of those thread changes. The quilt deserved that treatment, but it might have stalled me for a long time! : )

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

So lovely...there is something so crisp and clean about the white and it sure showcases all the pretty colours.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I always wonder how long white quilts stay white, too - but love the look. This is beautiful!

Needled Mom said...

It looks wonderful. I would find the triangles challenging too. That was lots of thread changing!! ;-)

Ariane said...

It's a beautiful quilt. Congrats on a wonderful finish!!

The Cozy Quilter said...

You should keep Max away from your beautiful quilt!!!! I love your thread collection. It must be quite extensive!

Lori said...

Lovely finish.

Raewyn said...

It's beautiful - congratulations on the finish! The shophop sounds like a fun and different idea.

Lisa J. said...

It's gorgeous Kathy, and I'm really excited that you finished it. I hope I get to see it in person in September.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congratulations - it is really pretty!!

Ellen said...

Congratulations Kathy - it looks beautiful! I love the texture you achieved with the quilting. :)

Heidi said...

So neat! Your triangles look amazing. Lovely quilting too! Congrats on a great finish!

Angie said...

Congrats on a lovely finish! It's a really stunning quilt!

Missy Shay said...

It looks really good, I love the colors you used.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Gorgeous! Great finish!

SandraC said...

So beautiful! Would love to see the back of the quilt, I bet it's just as beautiful!

Kleine Vingers said...

Just love this quilt, so simple and so beautifull!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Lovely.....his is such a pretty quilt, Kathy. Love it!

Stitchin At Home said...

Beautiful quilt! The tumbling block centers are lovely.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

She's a beauty ; congratulations! Love the shot of the river in the background :)

Pat said...

Love your quilt! That's really beautiful!

Marie said...

It's just lovely, Kathy - reminds me of a pillow that I made years ago in girl guides - and the Expo 67 logo. Nice to have another finish.

Barbara said...

It's beautiful, Kathy. Nice job.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Very nice! Congrats!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

What a great quilt. I really love the stars made out of triangles!

Chantal said...

Congrats Kathy. Lovely finish. ;^)

Judy Dietrich said...

Great job on getting this quilt to goal!!

karen said...

It is beautiful!

ES said...

I'm sometimes reluctant to use white because I don't think I could keep it clear from spills and baby spit up etc although I'd probably be the worst culprit for spilling things, but I still imply blame towards the baby or pre-schoolers! !!

Kate said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish!