Saturday, March 31, 2018

March UFO Goal MET!

Demonstrating extreme persistence and after many hours of measuring, sewing, swearing, unsewing, and resewing, I am so pleased to announce that I met my UFO goal this month! 
My March goal was to turn a dozen asterisks blocks into a quilt top. Many times I was tempted to toss the whole thing in the garbage UFO closet and sew something else that was fun and easy, but I didn't. Yah me!
The first task was to make a few more asterisk blocks in order to make a layout of 5 rows.
The biggest challenge was the amount of background fabric I had. There were a number of "unique" greens in these blocks, and of course at the beginning of this project I had no idea what it might become. It just started out as making some fun blocks at a guild event back in 2014 and it just wanted to grow into a lap size quilt. But I wasn't sure if there was enough of the background fabrics to work with and I really didn't want to buy more.



Determined to use up what I had, it was "game on"!
I began by joining the blocks into rows. Each block was a different size, so first I had to trim the larger blocks down, or add sashing to smaller blocks to bring them up to useable sizes. In this photo, the top two rows are sewn together, and I was still working on getting the bottom three rows joined into a useable size. 
I also made a few small blocks because I just can't help myself!



I still don't like the look of these 3 small blocks in the bottom row, even though I spent quite a bit of time on that section. I finally just had to walk away from it and call it "good enough".

Truthfully this month's project was not enjoyable. I'm not sure if it was so hard because the process was complicated and involved a lot of math, or because I didn't like how it was turning out? But I do feel terrific about the accomplishment, even if I don't like the end product, and am quite chuffed to link up to One Monthly Goal. This will definitely become a donation quilt and needs to be far away from me! I will wait for a month or two to work on the quilting because we need a break from each other! I'll be choosing a different project to work on for my April UFO.


I'm also linking up to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge where green was the colour for March. I only had a few  green scraps leftover from this project, so I turned some of them into a maverick star block to add to the collection. 
I'm so ready to bring on the month of yellow and gold scraps!

25 comments:

SandraC said...

Yes, so funny that both our goals were quilts we didn't care for....but they're done! Yay us!!

julieQ said...

That is super cool!! Love your result, even though it was a frustrating thing to accomplish...you go!

Janet O. said...

Absolutely, Yah, you!!
So sorry you don't like this now, because you loved the blocks. I think you combined them brilliantly, but I understand how all that math was a downer. Not having done all that math myself, I still love it.
Funny thing, your block with the three little on point blocks is my favorite--a little touch of whimsy. :)

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I think you did a wonderful job getting all those blocks to make a top. You could always send it to someone else to finish, LOL!!

Deb from Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I think it looks awesome! It reminds me of a galaxy or some universe-star type thing ! It's a big bright explosion of color. It might grow on you when you think about how to quilt it :)

Christine said...

This looks great, Kathy. Kudos to you for sticking with it.

Jennifer said...

it's funny: I really like your block of the 3 little asterisks- the one you don't like! congrats on pushing through!

Ivani said...

This modern block is not one of my favorits, but for sure it will bring joy to someone else in need.
Green Maverick Star looks pretty.

Deanna W said...

I like those funky threesome in the bottom row. Good for you for getting it to a finished top.A break is always good. I would suggest meandering the quilt, quick and easy peasy and out the door!!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like your asterisk quilt. I need to start making more and more scrappy quilts to tame my boxes which are over flowing of scraps

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I Like it!!! And i even like the bloc you don't - it adds interest and character!! Great job!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Congrats on the finish. It is hard to finish something that you don't really like. Have fun with the April projects.

Marly said...

Well done getting the top finished if you really dislike it so. Someone above suggested giving it to someone else to finish and I think that's a good idea. There's no point in punishing yourself. Enjoy your projects for next month.

Angie in SoCal said...

Persistence is a great virtue. Bet someone else is going to like it. I like it. Congrats on your finished top, Kathy.

Katie Z. said...

Way to persevere!

Laundered Cotton said...

I join in the echo of others about persistence. Your training here will pay off somewhere else big-time. Really pretty quilt though!

Linda said...

I think you should feel very proud of yourself for finishing a long standing UFO that you have fallen out of love with! It's a great quilt, love the contrast of the pink with the pretty greens. I understand how you feel and that you want to pass the quilt on - the person who receives it will love it! 💐💐 Great Maverick star, that design is always a winner in my book.

cspoonquilt said...

I like the way you put those blocks together! Congrates on the UFO finish!

Louise said...

Congrats on meeting your goal! I think it's a super fun piece, but I didn't bang my head against it like you did :) Maybe after another time out in the UFO closet, you'll both be ready to enjoy each other's company and get it quilted!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Like your other commenters, I really like those blocks and how they came together as a quilt top! It is really difficult to make yourself work on something you don't really like, so I admire your persistence!

Patty said...

What a fun quilt top! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Lisa J. said...

2014! Wow it doesn't seem that long ago. I'm impressed that you finished your blocks . I trashed mine and donated the rest of the background fabric to a different donation quilt. A giant disappearing nine patch made of batiks. Jackie made it and it's awesome. I think yours is fun. The problem with mine was even though she said it was a modern project I brought batiks I wanted to use up and it just didn't work for me.

Cathy Tomm said...

Good to see you got a goal done. Great green!

Kate said...

Congrats on meeting your March goal. Those forced march quilts are so hard to work on, but it feels so good when you get to that finished point.

Kristin said...

"we need a break from each other"!!! LOLOLOLOLOL
That is too funny! I've been there before. I hope you two can get along in a few months. It's too late now, but I was going to suggest that you put the triple mini block that you don't like on the backside. (in a timeout spot!!!) =P