Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Scrappy Friends




If the way you spend New Years Day, is the way you'll spend the rest of the year, this day was a perfect way for me to start 2018! Two quilting friends came over to sew and we worked on the Quiltbug mystery called Scrappy Friends


We sewed blocks steadily all day, with a few mishaps here and there. The seam ripper was always close by and it was used quite a few times. When you're visiting and laughing, concentration lags sometimes! Can you tell who was not paying attention when making their friendship stars?!?

We worked steadily until productivity declined and then we stopped for lunch. We enjoyed a delicious lunch of homemade onion soup, 3 types of cheese, crackers, 4 kinds of hummus, and homemade pickles. 

And then it was back to the salt mines... I mean the sewing machines!


Here are the double friendship star blocks. We each made 6 of these blocks for the 3 pm clue and then we were getting a bit tired. I pushed on, sewed the sashing units and got all my blocks up on the design wall. By that time it was dark. We sewed the entire day away!

Here it is... my version of Scrappy Friends.
I'm very pleased with the way the fabrics worked together and love the pink stars. The problem is that all my sashing strips are a bit too long. I guess my double stars blocks are a bit too small? Batik fabrics generally have a higher thread count and are not amenable to stretching much. I can't fudge the size difference, so that means I will need to slightly alter all 27 sashing units before I can sew it together. I'll get right on that another day.
You can see Ellen's version of the mystery here.
Linking up to Let's Bee Social.

16 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

What a fun way to welcome the new year!

Gretchen Weaver said...

This is a very cute wall hanging. Sounds like you all had a lovely day. Maybe next year I'll ask some friends if they would be interested in a sewing day together on New Years Day.! I hope the rest of your year goes smoothly and there is lots of sewing/quilting time.

julieQ said...

OH I just love how your quilt turned out! I worked 14 hours yesterday, but tried to follow the clues just to see what was going on...very fun!

Deb A said...

What a great little quilt! Bummer on the size... could you add a very small 'surround' around each of the star blocks to make up the difference? Just a thought.

Julierose said...

What a beautiful start to 2018 with this sparkler of a quilt. I really like this block a lot...(your measurements sound like mine ALWAYS do ;))) )
it's pretty much always trim your blocks time with me...anyhoo--I also love its scrappy feel beautiful work..hugs, Julierose

Mary said...

Very fun to sew on the 1st day with friends all working on the same thing.
I took time to print the final clue and by evening had just a few blocks done on the Quiltville Mystery. I printed all the clues for the Merry Mayhem Mystery as well. Hope your ripper was sharp, I love my Clover one. It got a little workout making sure that I had different corals in my corners. Uggg. OCD. Isn't fun.

Deanna W said...

Oh my...the visiting and chatting must have been great. That is the only way to explain the "creative" quilt blocks!! haha

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

What a great day! Looks like you'll have a flimsy in no time! I hope the sashing adjustment goes quickly.

Ellen said...

Your top turned out great! It was a lot of fun to participate but I think you probably had even more fun sewing with friends!!

piecefulwendy said...

I like your new header photo! What a fun day, and it looks like no tinsel got tangled in your quilty day. Your quilt is very nice!

Suzanne said...

Lovely way to start the new year. I like the color choices.

Louise said...

Sounds like an absolutely wonderful day! Your fabric choices are lovely for this friendship star quilt. I laughed at the OOPS blocks :) Having all your sashing too long is frustrating, though. Maybe you can just sew a tiny seam in the center of each block, to nip the length in a smidge? Good luck however you decide to fix it!

Janet O. said...

Such a pretty twinkly quilt! Love your batik fabric selections. How large is the finish (or how large will it be when you get right on the sashing fix)? :)
Sounds like you know how to celebrate in a new year!

maggie fellow said...

i like your colors together, especially the pink stars

Jo said...

I'm sure you will work it out. Good luck

Kate said...

What a fun way to spend New Year's Day. You blocks turned out beautifully. Love the colors you picked for this project. Hopefully you can work out the sashing size issue pretty easily.