Thursday, April 21, 2016

Finished Block


Here's the finished block! This is a paper pieced pattern by Sonja Callaghan and was published in issue #3 of Quiltmaker 100 Blocks magazine. I have wanted to make this block since I first saw it. It stirs up a very strong memory of having new magical white shoes!




This is my memory of beautiful shiny white shoes. It's a damaged (old!) photo but you can see the shoes.
I'm the one on the left. My cousin had her own idea of how the bouquet should be held! I remember we also debated how high the knee socks could be stretched and I'm sure there are some photos somewhere of the socks covering my knees! I love this photo and all the memories associated with that day.
A paper pieced block and a daffodil!
This block was a bit of a struggle in the end, and you can see that the edges of the block are not at all even, especially on the right side.
I find that a little paper piecing goes a long way for me and now that I've had my fix, I won't be tempted again for a while.
If you'd like to see 8 very creative versions of this block, hop over to Quiltmaker magazine.

12 comments:

Jo said...

Haha. How cute. My blocks never end up even on the sides.
Be funny with red shoes. Think of Dorothy and the yellow brick road...

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I love that! I think I had new white mary-jane shoes for Easter many years, along with a little white hat.

the girlfriend gap said...

I always extend the pattern on the edge by 1/4 inch or so then trim to the correct size when I am finished ..... Just to be safe. : ) I feel the same way about paper piecing... a little goes a long way. Very cute little block. Janita

SandraC said...

What a precious block! Your picture brings back memories of my sister and I in our new shoes, Easter bonnets, and white gloves! I'm not fussy on paper-piecing, some days can't even wrap my brain around it....but for some blocks it's the only way

allthingzsewn said...

What a darling photo. You could not both be angles, which one of you was the troublemaker? I love the block and it does bring back memories. It seems Easter use to be so much more about the resurrection and family than it is today.

Julierose said...

This is so great--I can see this on a scrap layout with the picture and the block--maybe you could scan the picture onto cloth and make a little memory piece? SO darn cute...hugs, Julierose

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Your shoe blocks turned out very cute! From the expression on your cousin's face, I think she knew the bouquet went the other way--lol!

Mary said...

Great Block. I could even be persuaded to PP with it. I remember getting new Patent leather shoes for Easter. Cute memory.

Julie said...

What a cute block and great memory!

Janet O. said...

I love the association between your memories of your shoes and this block. Sweet post! : )

AnnieO said...

Sweet inspiration for the block! Paper piecing and I are only passing acquaintances...

Kate said...

Fun block! Love the inspiration for making the block. We used to get white shoes for Easter and black dress shoes for Christmas. Fashion was a lot easier in those days.