Tuesday, February 16, 2016

BOM Decisions

How to make a decision!
Life is a just series of decisions of which quilt to start next. Well, maybe that's only how it is for quilters? The world is full of so many choices now, and there are endless options for how to spend your leisure time. The decision making process can be overwhelming, but when it's done in a thoughtful and deliberate way, it does help to crystallize who you are and what you enjoy.
I found a great list of free 2016 BOM's over at Seams to be sewThere are themes to appeal to everyone including hand embroidery blocks with the Outlander theme, a paper pieced quilt with a travel theme, an Old MacDonald mystery quilt, an 1857 applique reproduction quilt, Lorna's ugly Christmas sweater  quiltalong, and the one that I am resisting starting ... Scrap Dance Tango.

I enjoyed looking at all these options and considering this question: "If I was only going to start one new quilt this year, which of these would I pick?" This question really helped me to identify what my preferences are in quilting designs at this point in my quilting life.
Ironically, I realized that so far this year I have already started 5 new quilts - Circa 2016, Westering Women, Aurifil BOM, Scrap Dance Tango and the Quiltbug Superbowl mystery.
Oh dear! I am a very bad influence!
Another project that I really love is the Fat Quarter Shop's Crossroads Quilt Along. Their concept is unique - they post the block patterns for free and ask for a donation (if you are able) to the March of Dimes charity. This charity is near and dear to my heart, with their mission of "a fighting chance for every baby". Fat Quarter Shop will match donations up to a total of $10,000. And their finished sampler quilt will be auctioned with proceeds going to the same cause. Love that! 
And then there is the Splendid Sampler which just started this week. This BOM features well known quilt designers, giving us two free 6" block patterns a week, for a total of 100 quilt blocks! The fun and choices never end!! I think this might be my 6th start of 2016!
What BOM's are you joining this year??

20 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I could not resist the 1857 quilt though I made a decision to take the SVBAQ blocks that I'd completed thus far and sew them into a throw sized flimsy, to free myself up to go back to another project, aside from the 1857. There's only so much time for applique given the prep work involved.

I was looking at the Splendid site just yesterday though, and I follow Caroline's blog so I am familiar with her Tango : )

Kate said...

You've been finishing a lot of quilts too, so you should start a few if you want. I'm trying to resist starting anything that's not on my list this year. I have too many commitments to add anything else this year. But boy they sure are tempting. I'll just have to live vicariously through your starts.

The Cozy Quilter said...

This was a dangerous post to read....now I want to start a BOM too! The Aurafil one looks interesting....

SandraC said...

I have way too many starts this year. Now to see there is an Outlander BOM! Oh my goodness!

Ellen said...

Thanks for the link...after checking it out I realized that I am already actively participating in quite a few BOM or I have been saving patterns for later. There is never enough time. :(

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Thank you for mentioning Scrap Dance Tango! Glad you are quilting along!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

a lot to choose from for sure - I think I will resist - I have many going on in my own home without more!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I knew there were a lot of quiltalongs this year, but hadn't seen quite how many there are! This is supposed to be my year to finish things I have already started and all of these quilts are really tempting me. I think I will probably do a block here and there instead of following each block of each quilt.

Needled Mom said...

LOL.....I feel your pain!

Janet O. said...

Oh, you enabler, you! (what are friends for, right?) *LOL*
I am NOT clicking links to see any of these and I am NOT starting any BOMs!! This is the year of the backbone for me! : )

Dona said...

You are killing me. I have 4 wedding quilts to do in the next 14 months. I don't have time to start a new one and still finish these up and my Dear Jane. I haven't even looked at the choices but they are calling me.

Karen said...

I am doing Sentimental Quilt's 1857 blocks as far as free blocks go. I am saving block patterns from some others including the wool basket blocks from Linen Closet Quilts which just started. There are just too many to choose from. Do you think the freebies keep us from purchasing patterns?

Vroomans' Quilts said...

There are too many BOM's and QALs - many sampler types. When there are so many, I tend to back off from them. I am doing Barbara Brackman's 'Westering', Deb Kratovil's 'Adinkra' just parts of Quilt Doodles, and the 365.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Decisions, decisions. I am overwhelmed with UFO's , so am working furiously to get them finished. Some are as old as 8 years. I did reward myself and have joined Splendid Sampler, I just hope I can keep up.

beaquilter said...

I'm doing the RSC16 and some FPP blocks that's it (I think) unless I START something, I do plan on re-starting the round robin again

Mary said...

Some BOM's are easier to resit than others. I finished last years Vacation time so I gave myself permission to start The Secret Garden one. I'm tempted by the Splendid one, but I have my LUS, 30's FW, 30's SBS and class samples to keep me very busy. Good luck choosing the best one!

Kyle said...

It our post is just ehat I've been thinking about too. Trying to figure out what I really want to spend my time working on. There are so many wonderful ideas around. You just have to pick and choose how many or how few you have time for.

Jo said...

I think I will be starting the splendid sampler and the Gypsy Wife SAL.,I hope to get back into my Nearly insane quilt. 1 block a week...

margaret said...

thanks for this link though maybe I should not look as like you have too many on my list already!

swooze said...

Angry face, angry face, angry face.....