Saturday, October 20, 2012

Brown Scrappy Saturday


Friday night sew-in was a success! Some sewing did get accomplished - we had binding sewn on, binding stitched down, hand quilting, and machine piecing going on! Also lots of visiting, laughing, information sharing, and quite a bit of eating! Just look at these treats that Sandy got up early to make for us...YUM




The colour of the month at the Rainbow Scrap challenge is brown. YUCK!
I don't often sew with brown so I really don't have many brown scraps kicking around here. For sure I don't have enough variety to cut the 56 1.5" squares that I would need for a brown knot block, but I did have 14 brown scraps to make a palm branch (aka Red Herring) block last night. 
This was a great block to try out my new rolling seam presser that I bought last week when I attended a guild lecture by RaNae Merrill. It was a very interesting lecture, but I was so exhausted I could barely take in any information. However, I did get a new tool and found out that it works great... it presses a nice seam and doesn't stretch the fabric like a wooden presser stick does.
All of the blogposts about quilters sewing brown scraps reminded me of my brown quilt from last year. I got it out of the UFO vault and am thinking I might baste and quilt it this week. The pattern is called Chocolate Stars by Fat Cat patterns
Hop over to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge posting and see what other quilters are making with their brown scraps this week.

10 comments:

June said...

Hmm...your roller presser looks a lot like something to use installing wallpaper?! I love gizmo's too. No place around here to buy anymore though. I love 50 miles from "nowhere".

Janet O. said...

What are those treats called? Look delicious!
What an interesting pressing tool. Is it repurposed or is it made for the quilting world, do you know?
I have browns--I just went through the scrap box and pulled out 40 different browns that all "read" brown--no colorful prints involved. What size do the scraps need to be for your knot blocks? I can send these off Monday if you'd like. Let me know.

AnnieO said...

Brown is one of my fave colors to quilt with but I see in blogland that many people avoid it. Your seam roller makes sense--I agree about the other pressers stretching out the fabric. Hmm, I have one of those old wallpaper seam thingies, maybe I will try that out.

scraphappy said...

I was thinking that your seem roller looks like something I have for wallpaper as well. I am glad you found a few brown bits to play with.

Deb A said...

Nice block. I can send you some squares of brown if you'd like.

Angie said...

Yummy looking chocolate treats and handy looking gadget! Do you know if the roller is available online?

Sheila said...

I know what you mean about brown fabrics. I usually go for bright fabrics. Lots of blues and greens with reds, etc. However, love your palm block and lovely brown star sampler.

Kate said...

Your brown red herring block looks great. I don't sew much with brown either, but hope to change that in the future (one of those bucket list things). I remember your brown stars, it's very pretty.

Elly D said...

I love the quilt in your blog header Kathy. Your brown palm block looks good too. Funny, I was wondering too why you were using a papering tool. Your brown star quilt looks really good. I hope you manage to finish it this week and dust off a ufo.

*karendianne. said...

That Palm Branch is a really cool block. I've never seen it before. As far as color goes, you know I adore brown so I sorta giggled. YUCK! hee.