Monday, September 10, 2012

Design Wall Monday #34

I have been having such a great time sewing on my surgically enhanced sewing machine. It was in the shop/at the spa for a month, and I was so happy to welcome it home this weekend! I happily sewed and sewed, and enjoyed every minute of it's perfect piecing.
And I was able to finish my Tetris quilt top!
I made 9 blocks and tried to mix up the layout. The bottom blocks are #1, #2, and #3; middle blocks are #3, #4, #5, and the top blocks are #5, #6 and #1. I spilled over the leftover squares from each block into the block above it, so each shape in the quilt is an actual Tetris block shape. And the leftover squares in the top blocks spill into the sashing.
The black fabrics in the top sashing are a little "busy" for my liking, but I decided to use all stash fabrics for this project and made do with what I had on hand.
My favorite thing about the quilt is the letters at the top. I tried to make the letters look boxy and in keeping with the block theme of the Tetris game.
I debated about adding a black border around, but it is already 50" x 63", and a good size for a donation quilt, so I'll just use a black binding.
This was a fun Quilt-A-Long and I was happy about the amount of old bright scraps I cleared out of the stash. To see other Tetris quilts, hop over to the Happy Quilting blog.
And to see more design walls, go visit Patchwork Times.
It's a great day in blogland land...not only can you see the Tetris quilt tops (over 30 already linked up) and inspiring design walls, but the Dots on Dots blog hop starts today - click here for the list of blogs to visit. My day is Wednesday and I hope you'll come back and see my new dotty project!
There now...those three events should keep us all busy this week...who even has time to work?!?!

24 comments:

Denise :) said...

Oh! This is really fun!! Great job! :)

LuAnn said...

Love your Tetris quilt. Glad your sewing machine is back home where it belongs.

Nina Marie said...

yay!! Tetris looks great!

Janet O. said...

I have heard of, but never seen, the Tetris game, so I'm sure it has greater meaning to people who have played it, but it looks like a fun design.
Looking forward to your Dotty project. : )

Judy D in WA said...

What a fun quilt! I'm so happy your machine is home where she belongs instead of lounging around the spa! Hope she's ready for some serious work.

Rosa said...

Love your stunning Tetris quilt and can`t wait to see your dotty project.
Welcome to your machine.Happy sewing!!

Teresa in Music City said...

Kathy! What a wonderfully colorful and alive quilt! I just love it!!! it looks just like a Tetris game and your letters are great! I've been wanting to play around with making some letters, but as you say, who has time? LOL!!!

Bonnie said...

Very cute quilt. Love using up scraps myself so know how trilled you must be!

Melissa Corry said...

I love how you added Tetris to the top!!! It looks fantastic :) And I am so glad you were able to use some of your scraps. That is awesome!!! Your quilt top looks wonderful!!!

beaquilter said...

this is awesome! good job

Mary said...

YEA for the return of your Surgically enhanced machine. Happy sewing- who will have time to sew or Blog with all the hopping?

scraphappy said...

What a fun quilt. It seemed to come together magically.

Kate said...

Very bright and very fun! It looks great!

Amy said...

Oh! Way to go Kathy! I fell off the wagon after week #2.

What a FUN FUN bright quilt! Whoo-hooo.

Melinda said...

What a fun quilt.

M-R Charbonneau said...

So fun!

AnnieO said...

Very bright and fun. Glad the sewing was just as fun!

Leigh said...

How clever! Tetris is one of my all time favorite games. Love the whole concept of tetris quilts.

Beth in MN said...

what a great Tetris quilt. I love it!!

Helen in the UK said...

Glad you are back at full strength now your machine is back from surgery! Great, fun quilt top :)

SpartanBabe said...

Your Tetris quilt is awesome! I did the QAL too and had a blast. It is hanging on my bedroom wall right now and I realized one of my blocks got turned sideways this morning. Now I have to get it out of the house before it drives me insane and I rip out all the stitches to fix it. Great job!

Alisa said...

I like your version! Very nice work!

Sheila said...

I love your Tetris quilt! So colorful. Love the sashing and letters at the top. I don't see busy, I see FUN!

Shannon said...

Great quilt!! I made the Tetris quilt also. I love how you finished it up. Great great!!