Sunday, July 29, 2012

Slow Sunday Stitching - Last July Linky


Can you believe that I have been hand stitching three different quilt bindings this week?!?
Somehow I ended up stitching down two of my sister's bindings recently. 
Hand binding is the perfect project for road trips, and this is one of her quilts I finished while she drove me around on the Yours to Discover shop hop. I guess it's a good trade off... she drives, and I navigate, while I stitching the binding on her quilts (as long as the air conditioning is on full blast!)
As soon as I finished that quilt, she quickly produced another quilt for me to bind...I think I have started a bad pattern here! 
Can you see the lovely thumb nail art that one of the ER night shift nurses painted for me?!?  She used a "Nail Art Pen" and I have been admiring her design every time I did some hand stitching this week. But it wore off too quickly (too much time spent washing dishes!) and I need to work another night shift to get a re-do (or learn to do it myself)!
And the third quilt is my July UFO quilt that I have started binding in hopes of finishing it by July 31st. 
Do you stitch your binding in the same direction as I do? 
I stitch from right to left, but have noticed that many people prefer to stitch from left to right.
This is the last week to enter the slow stitching draw - just link up your hand stitching blogpost below before July 31st, and your name will go in the drawThe draw winner will be announced next Sunday, and there will be a new gift draw starting in August.

14 comments:

scraphappy said...

I've been hand stitching bindings during the Olympics. One done, the next one is two thirds.I stitch them in the same direction as you. The other way seems backwards to me.

Candace said...

I like your thumb art, I'm sure you can do it yourself, anything to keep off the night shift, lol. I think I would sew it the same as you, but I'm not sure, I have done machine bindings for too long. Wish I could sew in the car, but I get headaches if I sew or read. You got a lot done.

JoQuilter said...

I am right handed so I stitch from right to left but I have my quilt top facing out (so other people can see how pretty it is) which puts the binding on top. I hope you are picturing this. Anyway, I find it easier to stitch with my needle picking up the backing fabric straight down, pointing the needle upward and to the left and into the binding. But as they say, "to each his own" guess that applies to how we hand turn our bindings.

Judy D in WA said...

I think your sister is on to something! :) Love the nail art, very fun.
I stitch my bindings right to left but the bulk of the quilt is towards me and my left hand goes over the top of the binding. Make sense??? I guess it doesn't matter how it gets done, it's the getting done that counts.

Janet O. said...

I'd drive you around, too, if you'd stitch my bindings down. : )
From the looks of things I stitch mine exactly like you do yours. Great minds...

Cathy Tomm said...

I stitch the same direction as you do, My mom goes the other way. It works well if we need to work together on a binding quickly. My mom does tons of binding for me. But I machine quilt her quilts, witch takes longer. I can not stitch or read in a moving car. I can barely read a map. Lucky you.

Carrie P. said...

I sew my binding on the same way you do. I like doing binding.

Teresa in Music City said...

Bindings are a really relaxing way to spend an evening - or in your case, a road trip. Lately, I have finished the binding on a lot of my quilts by machine, but the special ones get the special "hand" treatment :*) Your sister is a very lucky girl to have you help her with hers!

Allison said...

thanks for hosting a great linky party! I sew in the same direction as you, but I hold the quilt upside down from the way you are holding yours in the picture. Sounds like you and your sister have a good arangement - I'd rather be the designated stitcher than the designated driver :)

Angie said...

I'm glad to know someone else is working on quilt binding, too!

Jenniffier said...

Love binding I actually find it relaxing. Great nail art also!

audrey said...

I stitch my binding the same as you. Tried going the opposite direction and everything just gets all tangled up! I've bound several quilts for my mom in exchange for FQ's etc. which works out well for both of us! Thanks for a great giveaway and a very thoughtful link-up.:)

Janet said...

I wish I could be sewing bindings, that would mean some finishes. I stitch them in the same direction as you too.

Deb A said...

I stitch mine the same way as you do. I do love that stage of the project. If I can only get the bunch of tops quilted I can get some binding work done! Thanks for doing the linky party. I am having fun with this and am back to hand quilting for next week.