Saturday, May 05, 2018

Annual Shop Hop

First we drove through fog
For many years my friend Louise and I have been participating in a quilt shop hop the first weekend of May. This year was no exception. It was a bit of a different shop hop since 2 of the quilt stores have closed in the past year, and 2 new shops were added. 

Then there was rain and wind and many uprooted trees
Too dark for photos and shopping

The weather was intense this year which made driving a bit more of a challenge. We had fog in the morning, pouring down rain in the afternoon, followed by a terrible wind storm. 


The storm resulted in many power outages, and one of our favourite stores called Cobwebs and Caviar in Shelburne had no hydro. 
How can we shop in the dark? Not to be deterred by darkness, we got out our cell phones and used the torch/flashlight to see what we could. 


It was so sad for the store to be in total darkness when it was such a busy event for them.
And even in the darkness, I found this wonderful sign.
Of course we did manage to find quite a few items with which to cheer ourselves up. I collected some fabrics to use for a quiltalong with Jacquelynne Steves that will be coming up in the summer. And I topped up my consumable supplies like Best Press Spray, batting, and needles.

I'm so happy to be spending time in my sewing room today... it's been a long week with not enough sewing to keep me balanced. Today I'll remedy that! Happy Sewing Saturday!

11 comments:

Kate said...

Sorry the weather was so bad for the hop. Looking forward to seeing your new project come together. Enjoy your stitching time this weekend.

Deanna W said...

Glad you made it home safe. Even here we had rain, wind and hail last night.The creek is very high and thunderingly loud!! Enjoy your day of sewing.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

not nice weather for sure!

Louise said...

I'm glad you found a few things to buy, even in the dark :)

The Cozy Quilter said...

The wind was brutal! The fences on both sides of our yard blew down ... new weekend project! I’m off to a quilt show in simcoe today...to meet Sandra who links up each Sunday with you. Pictures on tomorrow’s post

Deb from Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Wow that shot of the huge tree toppled over! You had an adventurous day!

Gretchen Weaver said...

It was very fortunately the store was able to use their cash register. So many are automated now days and are not usable without electricity. You found lovely fabrics in spite of the challenges. Happy stitching!

Teresa said...

Pretty fabrics. I think you came up with a new "You know you're a quilter when....." You shop in the dark using your cell phone light!

Created by Kathi said...

Sorry the weather added more challenges but good for you and your friend for keeping the tradition and going anyway on your shop hop! I love a good shop hop for sure... a bit here and a bit there nets lots of fun for you when you go back in your sewing room to play!!!
I love the quote you found in Cobwebs store that was dark.
Have a fun sewing Saturday.. I am ready to piece my quilt center finally... 61 blocks made and sashings/cornerstones/setting triangles all cut... I will be glad to have this in my frame when I can once again join the slow stitchers in your Sunday group :D
Kathi now in NC <3

Janet O. said...

It will be a shop hop you will never forget!
Many stores can't run their sales registers without power. How did they manage?

Christine said...

Kathy, I can't believe I missed you. We were at Cobwebs in the dark too. Must have been just behind you because their power came on while we were there.