Monday, February 05, 2018

Ringo Lake

It was a great weekend here with lots of fun, sewing, and visits with friends. I'm so happy to be feeling restored to full health and able to be busy again. I have lots to post about this week, but today is the link up for the Quiltville mystery "On Ringo Lake", so I'll share that first. 
I'm loving these Ringo blocks and still have about a dozen to finish up. Isn't this a fun arrangement of 4 blocks on the ironing board?!? 
I was hoping to have my quilt top together by now, but that didn't happen. 

I decided to use the sashing blocks for the border instead, so that took extra time. And without the sashings, the blocks take a lot longer to sew together because there is so much seam matching to do. 
This is only a portion of the blocks on the design wall, and I've started to sew the blocks together in sets of four.
I'm trying to decide whether  to use the border on the top and right side, OR the left and bottom. Do you have a preference? I haven't figured out the corner blocks yet. 


In case you missed seeing my friend Sandy's finished quilt top that I posted last week, here it is again. This is the proper layout of the pattern, which has the blocks on point, the sashings and the setting triangles on the edges.

To see more Ringo Lake projects, hop over to the Quiltville link up. And to see more design wall postings, hop over to Small Quilts.

12 comments:

Jill said...

I can see that it would take extra time seam matching with so many intersections. Can’t rush that. I prefer the blocks as you have them. Can see the secondary look of the ring. It looks so nice on the design wall, I would consider a border on all four sides. Uh......perhaps that was not the answer you wanted.

Deanna W said...

Welcome back to the land of the UFO and too many projects to finish. Glad you are feeling better!

Karen said...

I like that your quilt has a lot of pretty shades of blue in it.

Anne said...

I like your straight set a lot. Still trying to decide if my Ringo Lake will be on-point or straight like yours. And your border is the perfect finishing touch. I prefer the top and right sides because they meet at the corners and don't lead the eye off the quilt. How about coral triangle HSTs in the corners like a churn dash block?

Needled Mom said...

The colors are so pretty in your Ringo Lake. There is a lot of stitching to get it all together.

Cathy said...

I’d put the pieced borders on all four sides, using what you’ve got, distributed evenly through the middle of the border. Id put a plain basic border on either end of the pieced borders to make it fit.

Mary said...

I got off my sick bed and put the final borders on Saturday. This BUG has been bad this year. I sleep and still feel tired all the time. Glad you feel better and got to sew with friends. I like your Blues! Smart lady to sew it together in quarters

Janet O. said...

Do you think you are being misunderstood in your question about the border? Personally, I like the left and bottom border design best. It creates the same squares along the edge where it is attached, as you find where the blocks meet in the body of the quilt. Carries the design element out into the border, and I think that is a nice effect.
Can you recreate a section of the main block that would fit into the corners--maybe the 9-patch with one "flying geese" on each side, between a solid corner square? Did that make sense?

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Looking good! Glad you are 100%

JeannieK said...

It took me a while to figure out the difference between the borders! But I do like the top and right side one better, if you were just to choose one. It looks great the way it is. I really love your quilt - -the colors, and how you placed the squares. I may just have to try this, though it will take longer. So glad the Bonnie posted your picture and I found your site.

Julie said...

I like Cathy's idea, but second choice would be the bottom and left. It's great and the ones I have seen in this layout are my favorites, although your friend's is very nice too!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Beautiful!!!! I love what you've done!