Monday, February 26, 2018

Retreat Report #3


Last week I attended my annual  quilt retreat where I started a few new projects: the 2018 Aurifil DOM, an "exploding block" table mat, and Carole's scrap mystery quilt along called Square Dance. You might remember that I started her previous mystery called Scrap Dance Tango at quilt retreat 2 years ago and I really enjoyed sewing that quilt (which is not quite finished yet!)
Carole promises that this mystery will not have any HST blocks! Does that persuade you to join in the fun? It's not too late since this is just the first sewing step.
The fabric I started with for this mystery is a jelly roll called "Addison" and a layer cake called "Chocoholic". I wanted to use up these collections instead of storing them in the cupboard forever. 
This is the perfect project to get them sewn into a quilt. I have other scraps and fat quarters that will be added but this is the starting point.
Here are the 9 patch blocks I made for step #1. 


I think I might be calling this one "chocolate covered cherries" which are actually on two of the layer cake fabrics! 

The next step will be posted on the 3rd Friday in March. You have lots of time to make your 9 patch blocks!
To see more design wall postings, hop over to Small Quilts.

8 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Oh fun, I am so glad you are quilting along with Square Dance! LOL, I am working on a quilt right now that I am called Chocolate Covered Cherries!!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great start to your mystery quilt! That chocolate covered cherry fabric looks delicious!

Mary said...

CHOCOLATE LOVERS Rejoice! I might have that fabric...looks a bit like my Border on my Quiltville Mystery. Fun 9 Patches.

Janet O. said...

Hmm, you doing another mystery quilt? That comes as a huge surprise! *NOT*
Love red and brown together--this will be great!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Yummy(literally) fabric. I must have a closer look at the piecing required for that quilt along. Thanks for showing the stitching at retreat...love seeing what people are stitching.

Louise said...

Great use of those two precuts! They look really good together. I'm also doing the Square Dance, but haven't blogged about it yet. My colors are blue, green and yellow :)

Kate said...

Very fun fabrics! You made good progress on your new project during the retreat.

Needled Mom said...

I love those cherry fabrics. The 9 patches also look wonderful. It'll be a great quilt.