Tuesday, January 30, 2018

January UFO Completed

So excited to show my first finished quilt for 2018! It's amazing to me that I was able to finish the quilt in January considering I was sick for half of the month.
This is my variation of the Magnolia mystery quilt hosted by Cheryl who blogs at Meadow Mist Designs. The project kicked off in July last year and the final step was posted in December. My Magnolia quilt is an octagon shape and measures 39" across.


The quilting was done on my regular sewing machine and is a swirly free motion design. The binding fabric and most of the backing is from the "Mama Said Sew" fabric line by Sweetwater.
Thanks to Cheryl for a fun mystery quilt! There will be a mystery quilt parade sometime in February and I'll post the link when it's parade time. It's always fun to see the many unique variations of one pattern.
Linking up to One Monthly Goal January Finishes, where Patty is showing her finished Magnolia quilt!

20 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice finish! great start for the year

Patty said...

Love the way you finished your quilt - neat shape. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Ellen said...

Congratulations Kathy! The quilt looks wonderful and you did such a great job with the quilting. :)

AnnieO said...

Woohoo! Great job. Love the shape and quilting. Wonderful to start off with success for January

Frugal Little Bungalow said...

It is beautiful and congratulations! :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Yea, a finish! Glad you are feeling better, and getting caught up.

Mary said...

Good job. I caught a bug now. My OMG is destined to a non-finish this month. Not a good start to the year. The Magnolia quilt is pretty. Enjoy!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

way to go there--what a lovely quilt and I really like the shape of it --I do get tired of just straight edged quilts--
enjoy, di

Deb A said...

A big Congrats on the finish!

Janet O. said...

Congrats, Kathy! Way to make your goal, Looks delightful. :)

Karen said...

The backing is a very interesting piece of fabric. Works well with the fabrics used on the front of the quilt.

Laura said...

Love it!

SandraC said...

I love your rendition of the mystery...kinda wish I'd thought of it! :)

Sarah said...

A really nice finish! Great start to 2018.

ckrut said...

Love the octagonal shape. Now I want to make one for my tabletop.

Lisa J. said...

Nice version Kathy. Quite different from the original.

Louise said...

Love the octogon shape! Will it be a table topper? The yellow really sings with the black and white :)

Kate said...

Wow! Your version looks completely different, but so very cool. Congrats on getting it finished well before the parade.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Job well done Kathy! Hope you are not dealing with the left over cough - Mine is going away - had it since 13 Dec. Glad you are doing better - Love the colors. You and I seem to like the same colors!

Cheryl said...

This is just too cool! I love the octagon shape, I would never in a million years think to shape the quilt like that. I love it!