Sunday, June 11, 2017

Slow Sunday Stitching


Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party! We invite you to relax, enjoy your favourite beverage, and spend some time visiting other hand stitchers around the world. It's so fun to see what other creative people are working on.


This week I want to introduce you to my friend Debby (on the left) who has become a hand stitching hexie addict. You can see a little of the project she is making with larger size hexagons on the right side of the photo.
Hexies can become a terrible affliction and I hope I don't get infected by hanging around with her! Here she is teaching a new convert Bea (that we had just met at quilt retreat) how to sew hexies. She was so enthusiastic about her love of hand stitching that she drew another unsuspecting quilter into this beloved hobby and got Bea started on her own hexie project.


Apparently these blocks need a lot of tools to make.
Here is a photo of her supplies including clips, glue, thread, needles, scissors, lights, storage containers, etc. Can you see several of her complex blocks in progress on the table? These are really tiny!


Just look at this fabulous wooden box (with a sliding lid) that she uses for storing some basted hexies for a flower garden quilt. The pieces are clipped together in sets to complete one flower block.


Here is what one flower block looks like. It's made from 7 hexies. The outside of the flower is scrappy pinks/purples with a yellow centre. 



Debby is in several Facebook groups to trade flower blocks with other hexie lovers around the world, so some of these flowers on the design wall she made herself, and some are blocks received from trades. It will be a wonderful scrappy flower garden. She intends to make a white path between the flowers and you can see those pieces already in production in her wooden storage box.
We had a great time taking photos of her tiny blocks. Just look at these hexies on the bleeding heart plant! And a random cat hexie in the crabapple tree! You never know where you might see these adorable little blocks when Debby is around!
Do you have hexie fever? Are you trying to resist like I am?
Or are you "all in" like Debby is?
What are you working on today? Do you have a hand stitched hexie project in the works? Share it with us on your blog post if you do, and link up anything you are hand stitching below. 
Happy Slow Sunday Stitching!

   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   

22 comments:

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Golly, Debby has a serious addiction. Thank you for sharing her work with us. I love her set up. Very organised.

Jo said...

I have not done a stitch at all today. I could not find my thimble to do my hand quilting, which I was in the mood to do. I didn't feel like hand piecing. So I sat and read blogs and Pinterest all afternoon.
I am not getting involved in hexie sewing. But I do have a few friends that are into them.... happy stitching today.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Yes, I love hexies too but I haven't done a large project in several years. I've made a large Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt with hexies and large wallhanging with diamonds. I have several projects I want to make with hexies, but I've learned to hand applique since then and now I'm into appliqueing! Hand work is so much fun.

Jacqui's Quilts said...

I've resisted the hexie craze too! LOL Too many UFO's. Oh oh...you got Bea into it? LOL She's from my small local group here. I'm sure we'll hear all about it at our next meeting. Yes, you need to get organized...makes it so much nicer to work on your project when it's prepped. Hope to work on my Crabapple Hill embroidery project today which has been on the go for 8 years or more! The end is in sight.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hear you on the hexies, never thought I would get addicted to them either !

MissPat said...

I'm trying to do more with hexies, actually EPP in other shapes, too, so I will have a portable project to work on. Vision and cramping fingers sometimes slow me down, though.
Pat

Sarah said...

I love doing hexies! Its lovely to see Debby's work and hear her story and I'm very envious of her organisational skills!!

Cathy said...

Yes, I've lately been afflicted. I work on hexies on gardening breaks because they are easy to pick up and put down. No special tools here, though...needle, thread, little scissors, fabric and papers is all in a tin is all I need!

Deb said...

Those are some small hexies and yes can be quite addicting and Wow that is a lot of tools, I used a template and scissors for my hexies way back in the 70's the times sure have changed and the results are just as beautiful now as they were back in the day.

Marie said...

Resistance is futile. I LOVE hexies - they are the perfect hand sewing project, and so many options! I am working on my first EPP hexie project (Anna Levens) but I can't say that I like messing around with all of the papers, etc. I much prefer to just stitch them without papers. Either way, once you begin you are hooked.

Chantal said...

Thank you for introducing Debbie to us. She is very talented and it was fun to see her work. I love hexies (although that project has been ignored lately) and I don't understand how you can resist. You are good! Your bleeding heart is doing very well. Mine has only a few blooms this year. I guess it didn't appreciate all the rain we had. Enjoy the sunshine! ;^)

Miaismine said...

I absolutely love hexies - got addicted a while ago! Give in! It's futile to fight it! :)

Julierose said...

I am in hexie remission (lol)right now...
I have THREE projects on the go: one ready to applique to a backing (Snow Flowers) and Monet's Jardin to be basted and quilted and a Christmas hexagon piece just begun..I had to PUT THEM AWAY--
it is a disease you know...no cure either--and Summertime is the worst time to catch it, as they are small, portable and easy to stitch into those darn charming rosettes..yikes!!
I wish I hadn't seen Debbie's box with the sliding top for storage--ohmygosh, tell her that I'm about to take another trek through "Hexagonia" and all her adorable rosettes (my middle name isn't Rose by accident you know hahaha)...hugs;))) Julierose

Ivani said...

Debbie hexies are so pretty. I need to pick my 2 hexies projetcts and add some more to them, but for now I am crocheting.

Angie in SoCal said...

Looks like a lot of us are back to hexies.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I have no hexies going on at the moment but have made them in the past...so much fun to see your post about hers :)

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kathy, amazingly enough, just a year ago, I thought that hexies were silly...well, I'm now eating my words. I just love the slow pace of doing them and the infinite possibilities! They are very addictive and I've been infected :-)

Jill said...

I have seen a lot of hexies, however, these are awesome. Debby is an organized quilter. I think she would make a great hexie teacher for workshops, etc.

gayle said...

I resisted hexies for years! But now I've got a long-term hexie project going, though I'm trying not to be consumed by it! (Resistance is hard!) I enjoy the portability of the project.

Janet O. said...

I am intrigued by people that can't resist hexies. I am not one of them. : )
I have two hexie UFOs. One is a mini that I love so I plod along, but I don't love doing it. The other is a large project that was going to be a GFG bed quilt. But there were some problems along the way and I stopped at the halfway point. Now I think I will applique the flowers onto muslin squares, sash them and call it good. I started that one 20 years ago--literally!!

Lisa said...

Hexies are new to me. They are soooo cute. I'm making them for Christmas gifts!!

jhmtraveler said...

Jacquelynne's hexies are the first ones I've tried so it's a learning experience. I tend to shy away from hand applique but perhaps this will be a new technique that I can enjoy.