Friday, April 28, 2017

Spiral Quilting

Progress is being made on machine quilting my UFO, but it's not done yet.
Here is a photo of one of the corners of the quilt and you can see the circular quilting lines out to the edge. So far it's laying fairly flat on the edges, which was my biggest concern with this quilting design. If everything isn't completely flat and well basted, you can end up with a teepee in the middle of the quilt and ruffles on the edges!
Also I have decided that it needs a dark scrappy binding, so I sorted through my basket of leftover binding ends and pulled out pieces to use. It will take extra time to construct a binding from so many smaller pieces, but it's perfect for this project. I hope it will be my Slow Sunday Stitching project to hand stitch the binding ... so exciting that the quilt is this close to finishing!!

20 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

The quilting looks amazing!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Spiral quilting adds great texture. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Hum, interesting. Makes me dizzy. I am sure it will look very pretty when you finish.

Jo said...

I love the spiral quilting on quilts. I have done 3 baby quilts this way and will do many more. Scrappy bindings use everything up.. good on you. Happy Slow stitching on Sunday..

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looks great looking forward to see the whole

swooze said...

Wow looks great. I guess I didn't think you'd just have all the stops and starts at the edges lol. Turned out great!

maggie fellow said...

looks great -are you doing this on a domestic machine?

Deanna W said...

Quilt looks great and almost finished. I love that you have a leftover binding box. I have thought of that but keep leftover binding with like fabric in case I am in need of that little piece more for a quilt.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I LOVE THIS QUILT!

Janet O. said...

The quilting looks excellent! And what better design could you use for a "vortex" quilt than a spiraling one!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Nice quilting!

beaquilter said...

this looks awesome!!

Deb A said...

Looks wonderful!

Missy Shay said...

I love that quilting!

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely spiral quilting, adds wonderful texture.

margaret said...

good to see the spiral has laid flat I know you were concerned about that, liking the scrappy binding, fingers crossed you do not have joins on the corners which could be a problem

Kaja said...

I love the spiral quilting, and am glad it's behaving for you. I look forward to seeing you binding it tomorrow.

Sarah said...

I love the way you have quilted this! I look forward to the full reveal.

Jill said...

Looks like you will have a soon to be finished quilt. I look forward to its completion with the spiral stitching as I have been contemplating the same method.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congrats on the progress - this is one super wonderful quilt!