Thursday, March 30, 2017

UFO of the month

I have had my nose to the quilting grindstone this week in an attempt to finish my March UFO. At the beginning of the month, the plan was to machine quilt one line of stitches straight down the middle of all the sashings, which would have been 12 straight lines. 
I quilted those lines, and then was inspired/obsessed to further quilt the sashing areas with a diamond design, which meant an additional 48 zigzag lines of quilting. 
Honestly, when inspiration hits, why isn't it ever something quick and easy?!?!


I learned this double diamond design in the Quilt Canada class with Melissa Marginet last year. Melissa has published a new resource book called Walking Foot Quilting Designs and it includes how to make this grid pattern. The pattern involves a lot of planning, measuring, and marking using a 30 degree angle. And then there is a lot of twisting and turning of the quilt to follow the lines, but I am so happy with how it's turning out. Everything is laying completely flat now, even some spots that were a little "puffy" before.
I really like how the sashing intersections look. I couldn't envision how that was going to turn out, but it's really cool!
However, this added quilting is taking so much more time than I anticipated, and with all the twisting and turning of the quilt (which is getting heavier with every line of quilting that I add!) it has been hard on my shoulder joints. I can only quilt for a couple of hours at a time, and although I am trying hard to finish this quilt for the end of the month, it's iffy. If all goes well, the binding may go on tonight, and a March finish might be possible just under the wire tomorrow night. Such drama! I tell you, it's an exciting life I lead! *snort*

16 comments:

Chantal said...

It might not be quick and easy but it's awesome, Kathy. WOW!! Love this pattern in the sashing. Adds a lot to the quilt. Good luck with your goal. ;^)

The Cozy Quilter said...

The quilting looks wonderful! Keep going! I am with you on the exciting life. I am in the midst of making 140 bean bags for a weighted blanket. I spent last night stuffing 50 of them. On to hand sewing them shut now...

Christine said...

Kathy, this is looking so good. I am glad you have kept going to add the little extra. Hope you make your goal but if you don't, a year from now it won't matter. Enjoy.
Christine from Ontario

Ellen said...

The quilting looks amazing! I think it is better to take the time to give the quilt what it wants than to rush to get it done and you just proved it! :)

Gretchen Weaver said...

The quilting looks great. So what if you don't finish by Friday midnight? What's the worst thing that will happen? The quilting has brought your quilt to life!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

wow-the quilting looks so good but tedious! I agree, the farther along I get machine quilting, the harder it is to move the quilt around and around. Kudos to sticking with it. It's worth it for sure. mary in Az

Janet O. said...

Your life looks exciting from where I sit. Is that a sad commentary on my life? : )
LOVE this sashing design! And believe me, I totally understand the shoulder issues!!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

The diamond quilting is looking great! I hope you make your deadline--I'm putting on binding today (I hope!) so I can make a my deadline too!

Laura said...

Lookin' great, Kathy!
I'm jealous...I'd like to have more of your kind of excitement. Instead, I'm stuck with a full-time job. Someday...maybe....

Kathy S. said...

Keep on quilting. My March UFO is also in the quilting stage right now. I don't think I'll have it done this week. Maybe next. I'm not going to stress it. IT's spring break week.

Deb A said...

Looks great! Love the added stitching in the sashing. Mine decided it wanted borders... you know, after I made the backing! Darn quilts =). No March finish for me... but maybe it will be a top with borders by tomorrow night?

Monica said...

Well, the diamonds look awesome, but, take care of yourself too! There are more quilts after this one...

Denise :) said...

The diamonds do look terrific! That might be easier than my method. I use 3/4" blue painters tape and tape off the diagonals, leaving a scant space for my stitch-in-the-ditch foot to go through. The only trouble is that *sometimes* I catch the tape. Not often. I finish one direction and mark off for the other direction. Your quilt may have been a little bit too big to have used that method, though! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Kathy, Melissa here, author of Walking Foot Quilting Designs. I mark very little when quilting this design. I mostly use the intersections of the patchwork as a guide. I use tiny dots where there isn’t an intersection .......On your first picture, 4 dots on the top left block, none on the top right, the two bottom ones require 3 dots on each side as either there are no intersections to aim for or they are in the wrong place, and that's it........Then I take my time to make sure my quilt is flat and aimed straight for where I want to quilt and just go for it.

Lorna McMahon said...

The additional quilting is fabulous! I love the diamond pattern. Yes, it may be that this is taking time and providing a hearty workout... But oh so worth it!

Kate said...

The quilting looks very nice. Even if you didn't get it completely done, you made a lot of progress and will have a gorgeous quilt to show for all your efforts.