Tuesday, December 06, 2016

New Project - 150 Canadian Women

Next year it is Canada's 150th birthday, so there are lots of special celebrations planned. Of course quilters are celebrating by starting new quilting projects because that's just what we do! Sandra brought to my attention a new online quilt project called 150 Canadian Women
Since my Votes For Women quilt is really making good progress and will hopefully be finished soon, I decided that another quilt celebrating the historical accomplishments of women is a MUST DO!
Each pattern has 3 pages: one describing the accomplishments of a specific Canadian Woman, the second page is the block pattern, and the third page is to record your thoughts about some suggested themes relating to that woman's accomplishments. This might be a fun project for a mother-daughter, or a grandma-grandchild to work on over the year. So far I am enjoying the historical information but won't be printing out the 3rd page of each block.

Here is block #4 and #5. I missed the first three women posted, so my quilt will only have 147 blocks/women. One drawback is that you have to print out the patterns right away as they are only available for a short period of time. 

14 comments:

SandraC said...

You can join the closed Facebook page for this project. If you look at pics of the first three blocks you'll be able to figure them out as they are simple. So glad you're joining in!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

What a wonderful project to celebrate Canadian women! That is going to be a huge quilt with 150 blocks!

swooze said...

I love your quilter ADD

Janet O. said...

Sounds like a really fun (and big) project for you.

Briarose said...

I have the first 3 do you want them?

Susan Earle said...

Thanks so much for posting about this project Kathy. Although late to the party, I'm in! I have signed up for the Next Steps Quilting Newsletter. There apparently will be a cd at the end with all the postings, for $15. The history pages are fabulous!

Nita said...

I have them. If you want, send me an email and I'll attach them to my reply. :) I'm already doing the splendid sampler, so don't think I can take on a second big project, much as I love this one. I may combine the two and end up with a 150 block splendid oh canada quilt, though. :)

Chantal said...

Thanks for sharing Kathy. I didn't know about this but now I signed up too. It will be my first commemorative quilt. ;^)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This sounds like a wonderful project and looks like you have some very helpful replies to help you

Laura McD said...

Thanks for sharing. I'm a little late too, but hopefully can catch up. I have never made a red and white quilt, so this is it! Also happy to see there is an IG hashtag. Nothing inspires me more and keeps me hanging in there than the overachievers who are DONE 90 minutes after the block, clue, step, etc is published. Will be watching you progress :)

Lesley Gilbert said...

Thanks for your link. I'm not Canadian but I signed up to the group and will get weekly emails with the pdf's which I have started saving, but only starting from week 3 which is BLOCKS 7,8,9. I'll join the FB group to see the first 2 weeks.

julieQ said...

I want to do this with you!!!!! Love it!!

canuckquilter said...

I've been faithfully downloading these and hoping to make time to sew a bunch of blocks at a time...At the very least I'll have had a short education on Canadian women in history! I like your fabric choices.

Kate said...

Sounds like a very fun project. The red and white is going to be gorgeous