Sunday, August 28, 2016

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the community of slow stitchers where we celebrate the art of creating things with our hands, where we connect to our ancestors by using time-honoured techniques to make things we could easily buy for a fraction of the cost, and where we recognize the value we add to our own lives by engaging in this restorative practice. 
This week I finished machine quilting my UFO of the month and am so happy that I get to hand stitch the binding today. Binding is one of my favourite things to do, and this is one of my favourite places to do it! You wouldn't know it looking at this photo, but this is right in the heart of the city where I live. There is a beautiful river and walking trails, and stitching benches. Well, maybe the benches were made for resting, but I often use them for stitching.
Did you know there is such a thing as "binding needles"? I did not know that until recently and so of course I bought a package to try them out. I will let you know if they are smoother and/or faster than using any other regular needle.

What are you hand stitching today? 
We encourage you to pick up a needle and thread, and join us as we make time in our busy lives to rest, to breathe, and to stitch. Link up your blog post below and share your hand stitching project with us.

   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   


21 comments:

Sarah said...

It looks lovely there. I think I would like to sit and watch the world go by and if there is some stitching involved even better! Have a great day.

KaHolly said...

Stitching benches:)! I like how you think! I don't have any handwork set up at the moment, but I do have a binding to prepare. I've been putting it off for too long. Perhaps today's the day? Enjoy your Sunday! XO

SandraC said...

Ooh, I'll be in a quilt shop on Monday. I'll have to see if they have binding needles.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I like the idea of a stitching bench and it is probably cooler by the river than most spots. My grandson has a home football game today but I think i'll pass ; it's going to be 92 degrees. Those poor kids are going to be quite hot in their uniforms. Congratulations on finishing the UFO and enjoy the day! :)

Debra said...

It's always nice to find a spot away from the usual to stitch. I feel that way when we go to the beach. Your spot looks wonderful, enjoy!

Barb said...

binding is one of my favorites too! I like to stitch outside - I can't wait until it is cool enough here in CT

CathieJ said...

What a beautiful view to stitch by. I like to finish a binding also.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have never heard of "binding" needle well need to look!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

You learn something new everyday they say! I sometimes use straw needles to bind as they are thinner. I love your description of slow stitchers, just perfect!

Deb A said...

What a lovely spot to sit and stitch.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I knew there were binding needles but never used - I like my 'tweens and have a couple that are 'bent' just right. Looks like a lovely place to enjoy some slow stitching.

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful spot to enjoy the outdoors and still get your stitching done! I haven't found an outdoor spot like that yet but I'll just have to keep looking! :) I didn't know there were binding needles too so I'll just have to get over to my LQS to check it out.

Margaret said...

What are your "regular" needles that you use for binding? I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts about the binding needles. Enjoy your hand sewing sitting in your special place!

Marie said...

What a beautiful spot to sit and stitch - with that view it might be hard to keep your eyes on your stitches!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I hadn't heard of the binding needles. I'm looking forward to hearing how you like them!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Thanks again for the Sunday linky...I'll be awaiting how the needles work...

Val's Quilting Studio said...

LOL!! I LOVE my "bent just right" needle too.

Kyle said...

What a perfect spot to be doing some slow stitching. People probably walk by and can't figure out what you're doing.

Helen said...

Looking forward to hear your thought on The binding needles. Beautiful spot for stitching :)

Greta said...

Thanks for your comments and your hospitality! I have used "binding needles"! They don't bend as easily as other needles.

Kate said...

Hope you were able to finish your binding.