Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Quilting Prep

Although I already have one or two projects in the hand quilting stage, I decided to go ahead and prepare the bow tie quilt top for quilting. Why?
Because quilting is my hobby and I want it to be fun. So I work on whatever inspires me and makes me feel happy. And today, I want to quilt my civil war reproduction bow tie quilt, but first I have to prepare it. It's actually a lot of work to get a quilt top ready for quilting. 
First you need the appropriate batting for the type of quilting you're going to do, and it has to be the right size for your quilt top. This is my favourite batting for hand quilting - Dream Cotton in either the 'request' or 'select' loft. And this one is the perfect size. Excellent!



Next you need a backing that is the right size.  I bought this piece of Jo Morton yardage on sale, not knowing what it would be used for. It's perfect to back these civil war reproduction bow ties.
Excellent!



And once you have everything ready, then it's time for pin basting. I clamp the backing to the table, spread out the batting and then the quilt top making sure there are no wrinkles. It takes me about an hour to put in the safety pins. 
And after all that ... it's finally ready for quilting!
I like this quilt so much it might not even hit the UFO closet! Now that is a rare occurrence!

16 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

I am looking forward to seeing how you quilt this one. I have signed up for this year's swap, I am doing the modern colours....Christine is doing the civil war swap....should be fun!

KaHolly said...

Prepping a quilt for quilting is my least favorite step in the process! You sound like me. I'm never quite sure what I will feel like working on from day to day, and have multiple projects in the works. Seldom do I focus on just one and finish it up quickly. This little quilt is yummy! I look forward to seeing it all quilted up! XO

SandraC said...

I'm so glad I can baste in the longarm! Gone for me are the days crawling around the floor for a couple of hours basting. I need a specific type of backing soon and as luck would have e it we'll be in Stratford on the weekend, just 20 minutes from Hyggeligt so I will take advantage of that on the way home!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Enjoy the quilting ! :)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It is just grand!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that backing should be lovely with this quilt.

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

Perfection! I agree with you completely that you should work on projects that you are energized about. I finished hand quilting a UFO last night and can't wait to get home from work today to put the binding on it.

Rebecca said...

You Wrote
"Why? because quilting is my hobby and I want it to be fun. So I work on whatever inspires me and makes me feel happy."
And that should be the summation of why we do what we do...even if it involves pulling our hair out trying to figure something out!!!

Needled Mom said...

That is going to be a real beauty. Love the fabrics in it.

Janet O. said...

Look at you go--and no stop in the UFO closet? Wow!!

Mary said...

Yep, that backing is a perfect fit! Go Kathy Go! I helped 4-H girls pin baste their Quilts. Looks fun until time to push it through the throat of a machine. I'm spoiled by my "Betsy" 18 by 8.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I totally agree with working on what inspires you at the time. I usually have several projects going at once, something in piecing, something on the longarm, a binding near my chair, and occasionally something on the cutting table too. Then I can pick up what moves me at the time. Then there is a chair with lots of magazines for further inspiration.

Jo said...

It is a lovely quilt. I will be basting some of mine soon...

Barb said...

That's one of my favorite battings too. Enjoy your quilting time.

Deanna W said...

Do you ever wonder some days why you put off doing things. I have put off pin basting quilts only to finally do it and enjoy getting the quilt to the next stage.

Kate said...

It's going to be see this one progress. Enjoy!