Thursday, August 04, 2016

Indian Orange Peel Update

Long time readers of my blog will probably remember the IOP project from 2010. It has been severely neglected even though it has been hanging on my secondary design wall for years. The pattern is by Karen K Stone and is by far the most challenging project I have ever tackled. 
You can read about the drama here.
When I was visiting my friend Louise last week (BTW I have two wonderful quilty friends named Louise... perhaps I should change my name to Thelma!) she was finishing her Indian Orange Peel quilt.
Yes... Louise is finishing her IOP! Here she is hand stitching the binding, with her sister, who is the infamous Barbara. 
Barb and I both have versions of the IOP in production because we took the same class together all those years ago. Barb won't even talk about how her quilt is coming along, or where it might even be stored! I think she's blocked it from her conscious awareness as a trauma response!

Here is Louise's almost finished Indian Orange Peel quilt. I just love this quilt! She has done an incredible job of colour and value placement. 
I wonder if she would notice if I swapped my block parts with her finished version?!?
Or I could just force myself to work on mine?!?

Okay okay! 

Here is my poor old dusty Indian Orange Peel on my secondary design wall, with pieces falling onto the floor. I sat and forced myself to stare at it a long time. Poor thing! 
First I will gather up the pieces that fell on the floor and then figure out what my next steps are going to be to make progress once again.
A big thank you to Louise for the inspiration to begin again!

20 comments:

Sophie Zaugg said...

Louise's quilt is amazing ! It looks like a challenging project. Hope you'll keep going.

The Cozy Quilter said...

We need a support group to finish our IOP's. Mine is rolled up in a sheet. Not pretty. One of the ladies who took the class with us was the first one to finish ...she completed one block each time she sat down to sew...she had to finish one block before she could sew anything else. Maybe this is what we should do. Louise's quilt is just gorgeous!

Julierose said...

Oh I, for one, think your version is gorgeous--please finish it--we all want to see it...I am sure!! It must be really difficult to piece for sure...And Louise's is lovely in that colorwash across it...
I am envious of you ladies and your talent...hugs, Julierose

Kathy S. said...

Holy cow that's gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I love those!

Stitchin At Home said...

This is a beautiful quilt.

Debra said...

I have the Karen Stone book... and this quilt or one like it is on my 'bucket list'. Stick with it!!

Teresa in Music City said...

I am so glad Louise has inspired you to continue on this project! You have the makings of a gorgeous quilt here, and imagine the sense of accomplishment when it is done!!!

sunny said...

Please! You must finish yours. What a beautiful quilt.

Deanna W said...

Do begin again and maybe by next years retreat you will be binding too!

Terri said...

(Drool, drool) You both have gorgeous quilts. Yours just needs a little attention. Love your colors. Keep up the good work!
Hugs

Missy Shay said...

It is great to have friends quilting the same project as you, your's is looking great.

The Joyful Quilter said...

That is one spectacular quilt!! I can't WAIT to see yours finished.

Lisa J. said...

I love this post Kathy. Louise's quilt is amazing and I can see why it would inspire you to pick up yours which is also amazing. Good luck with it.

Julie said...

Louise's quilt is awesome and I'm so glad she inspired you! You will be thrilled when it's done and it will be wonderful!

Barb said...

what a great quilt - worth picking up and finishing. funny, all my quilting friends are named mary, ha ha

Karen said...

At one time, I was making the Orange Peel quilt blocks. But paper piecing and me don't always get along. I gave my completed blocks to a friend to add to hers.

Kate said...

Yours is beautiful too. Those complicated projects are sometimes best worked on in small doses.

Katie Z. said...

Your Indian Peel is amazing! I love to see it every time you pull it out, but I'm also sympathetic to why you've put it aside for a while.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Yours looks almost done (nice lap quilt size).