Monday, August 01, 2016

Design Wall Monday

Last summer Barb hosted a bow tie block swap and I participated in the Civil War group. The 82 blocks I received are wonderful and right now I am highly motivated to finish my Civil War bow tie quilt. Why now you ask?!? 
Because Barb is going to be hosting another block swap in August, and I want to finish up the project from last year's swap so that I can be a guilt-free participant this year! 
I went totally scrappy with the layout, pulling the blocks randomly from the pile and sewing each block to the next one in the pile.
(see the blocks I made for the swap here). 
This is a bad photo of the start of the layout on the design wall. Going random does not mean that the colours will be evenly distributed, so there are too many yellow/golds in the upper right quadrant.
I'm not going to sew it that way of course... some modifications are going to be made to this "random" layout right away!
And also I have an idea for a fun border that I want to make. Last year Sharon posted a photo of her bow tie quilt (see it hereand when I saw it, I knew that I would try the same design. I really liked the idea of making smaller bow tie blocks for a border. 
The block swap bow ties are 4", which means the border bow ties will be half size at 2". And it just so happens that an anonymous "angel swapper" sent along two mini blocks last year, so I have two to start and only need to make about 80 of those.
To see more design wall postings, hop over to Patchwork Times.

9 comments:

Deb A said...

So pretty all together. I just love the traditional blocks in all their scrappy goodness.

Kate said...

Very pretty. Good luck with your goal to finish it up before this year's swap.

Barb said...

This layout is great! Hope you'll like this years theme.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

One of my early quilts was a bow tie quilt for my mother in law. Of course, it had y seams (I didn't know there were alternative ways to make them back then).

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love how this is all coming together - and the bitty ties for a border are going to really give this a finished hug.

Preeti said...

Kathy, thank you for commenting on Side Effects quilt. So glad to have found your blog. Those little bow ties are making a magical quilt! Love the ripple effect.
Hugs,
Preeti

Mary said...

Nice Bowtie quilt. Fun to Swap Blocks with Friends! Great start to your August stitching.

Mary said...

Bow ties are one of my favorite blocks. I hope you meet your goal!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

It looks marvelous! You know I love a scrappy quilt.