Monday, August 15, 2016

Design Wall Monday - Clarissa

I'm excited to tell you that my very first Clarissa block is finished and is on the design wall today. This is my project choice for Bonnie Hunter's Hourglass Leader-Ender Challenge for this year. You can read more about the original Clarissa quilt here.
There are 144 triangles making up the 36 hourglass units in this 12" block. There are a lot of scraps sewn into this block including a couple of browns from my civil war reproductions, some teals from a Quiltmaker mystery quilt from 5 years ago, and several pieces from last month's UFO project.
I must say this block was quite a challenge especially at some of the seam joins where there are 8 pieces of fabric trying to squeeze under the needle at the same time and hopefully meeting at the same point! I can't wait to start cutting the triangles for the next Clarissa block.
To see more design wall postings, hop over to Patchwork Times.

19 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Love your fabric 😇😇

Gretchen Weaver said...

Those are pretty colors. With all those seams, I would think it would use up some fabric. I won't be doing Bonnie's projects but I'm enjoying seeing what everyone else is coming up with. Blessings, Gretchen villacrestfarm@gmail.com

The Cozy Quilter said...

You are really showcasing your fabric collection in your scrappy projects! Lovely block!

Dana said...

Your block is beautiful! Do you plan to do all of the centers as pinwheels? Looking at your photos and the web post it seems like Clarissa had a mix of pinwheels and hourglass blocks. Wonder if the mix was intentional? Or an "oops" that she decided she was happy with?

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wowsers, that is a lot of triangles, looks great!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you have got quite a bit of them

Karen said...

Though your block has an old look, I see modern style fabrics mixed in. The color choice is what is giving it the aged look. Nicely done.

Judy D in WA said...

This is quite fabulous. What a wonderful quilt you will have!!

Deanna W said...

Those hourglasses are so tempting...I am resisting so far!

gayle said...

I've been making hourglasses with no project in mind, but you're really making this look tempting! It's going to be a gorgeous quilt!

Sarah said...

I can imagine how fiddly this must have been. But it looks great!

Missy Shay said...

Wow, those are some tiny pieces!

Aunt 'Reen said...

What a beautifully intricate block Kathy!
It looks amazing!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I love it! I'm reminded that I have several leader/ender projects that still need to be finished--lol!

Mary said...

I love your Clarissa BLock! I have made a bunch over the Retreat week-end and just need to play a little to see what I want to do with mine. Did you twist the center seams? That helps the bulk in connecting the blocks if they are all turned the same way.

TakeMeThereTotes said...

This block really looks great! Looking forward to following your progress! This quilt will offer a good challenge. The challenge of finding just the right fabrics. Just the right techniques. Just the right patience to join those seams!

Janet O. said...

It is a fantastic looking block, Kathy, and you appeared to tame those "eight piece corners" very well!

Kate said...

Beautiful blocks. This is going to be a very fun challenge.

Marie said...

VERY pretty - love your colours.