Tuesday, August 09, 2016

August UFO Update

The machine quilting is coming along really well with this month's UFO called Triangle Stars. I enjoyed selecting a variety of thread colours for each section of the quilt.  I started by machine quilting approximately 1/4" on all sides of the centre diamonds with a variegated thread.

When that was done, I quilted all the white triangles around the centre diamonds. Then I moved over to the green star and quilted that area with these Aurifil threads. As you can see I am quilting both sides of every seam in this quilt.
It is a fun challenge to see how far I can quilt with a continuous thread without having to stop and restart in another place. Here is the green star corner finished. It's going quite well so far and I am enjoying quilting with different colours as a break from all the white triangles. I am also really liking the texture, and am working on getting my lines to be as straight as possible.

17 comments:

Sarah said...

This is going to look great, the colours you are using are perfect!

KaHolly said...

Wow! Looking good! I challenge myself like that, too. Usually with chain piecing. Have a great day! XO

Deb A said...

Looking good! You are making great progress.

Ramblings from Randi the Wild Rose Quilter said...

Looking great!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Love that texture! How many colours of thread do you own????

SandraC said...

Beautiful! It's also a fun challenge as a longarm quilter when doing custom work, to try to find the longest continuous path!

SandraC said...

Beautiful! It's also a fun challenge as a longarm quilter when doing custom work, to try to find the longest continuous path!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Kathy it looks wonderful!

Janet O. said...

That texture is yummy. I admire your willingness to change thread color so much. I prefer to quilt in matching thread, but I tire of rethreading my machine. I am such a lazy quilter.

Miaismine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miaismine said...

This is so beautiful! I checked out the link as well. Did I spy tumbling blocks in the middle of each star? So pretty!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love it - this is the kind of machine quilting that I am willing to do and like - it accents the piecing perfectly

Kath said...

Very effective. I am in awe of the fact that you can FMQ in such straight lines!

Teresa in Music City said...

Looking great! I am always amazed at how much the texture of quilting adds to a quilt top :*)

Mary said...

Lots and Lots of straight Lines. Are you using a Ruler at all? I like it!

Pam said...

Really pretty!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Gracious, I cannot figure out your thread path! It doesn't look like you are crossing any seams!