Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Taking a Quilt Class

Bethany Garner
It has been such a busy week that I haven't had much time for being near the computer. My local quilt guild has quilt teacher Bethany Garner here to help us celebrate the guild's 25th anniversary. It's quite an accomplishment for an organization to be so vibrant and full of exciting and creative energy after all these years! It's such an amazing group of women and I am so so lucky to have found them 22 years ago. 
I was able to take a class with Bethany on Monday called "Creative Design in Patchwork". 
As we all know, taking a class means starting a new UFO.
I started my new quilt using quarter log cabin blocks in the Gees Bend style of using only scissors (no rotary cutters or rulers) to make the blocks. The fabric choices were inspired by a backing fabric that was on my cutting mat, and the scraps and fat quarters that were hanging around. This was not at all the fabric I had intended to take to the class, but there it is, with it's bright and obnoxious orange and pink presence.
It was so fun making these blocks without caring about anything matching or worrying about what the plan for the quilt is. 

So fun until you put them on the design wall and have to actually look at them.
OMG that's bright! They're so bright they could be a night light!
Oh sheesh, there really is no plan on how to deal with these things!
I have no idea what's next. 
I guess I'll just keep making more blocks until I'm tired of them, or a plan emerges. 

18 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Well, I think they look fabulous!

KaHolly said...

They do look fabulous, and I see a lot of potential there.

Lesley Gilbert said...

I LOVE the pink and orange combination - I can see it as a young girls quilt :)

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

My goodness that is certainly an eye catcher! There is a lot of movement in the design. Looking forward to seeing where you go with it.

Deanna W said...

I love them...the colour is terrific. I think they would make a great charity quilt for a small girl..she would love the colours. Also it is a bonus quilt as it is made from scraps that were just laying around!!!

MissPat said...

I'm with Deanna, I think they would make a bright and happy quilt for a little girl. It's good to get out of your comfort zone once in a while.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

It doesn't look like it will be a UFO for long.

Denise :) said...

I'm glad you got to do a class - how fun! I love the look of your Gee's Bend quilt!! :)

Janet O. said...

The blocks look very fun and whimsical.
The "new UFO" thing is what has kept me from classes lately. I am drowning in them already! I need to finish a few more before I can calmly add another. : )

Teresa in Music City said...

Wow! Your trash would be my treasure LOL!!! Love those bright and happy blocks. I hope you are able to stay with them and finish the project - it will be fun to see how they turn out.

Kath said...

I don't normally like bright colours, but I love this! I made a whole quilt with blocks like this, in all different colours. I think of it as my ma quilt but it is always admired!
I'd like to see what happens next :-)

Mgmj said...

Babies all babies love bright colors, I do to great job, what creative fun. Have got to try that for my brand new granddaughter. If I can figure it out.😉😉

moosecraft said...

Those blocks are fun! I'll admit the colors are bright, but reminds me of a Summer flower garden of zinnias! :-) Also, I had recently seen a quilt kit from Kaffe Fasset that used that colorway...

Mary said...

Gotta put on my shades- those blocks are blinding. Fun to have a guild to belong to for 22 years. How many members in your guild?

Cathy said...

Oh, I LOVE your night light! I think those bits of green really give it character. Keep on...

Lisa J. said...

Love them Kathy. I'm working on a piece with scissors myself and I'm not very good with the scissors....but oh well!

Magpie Sue said...

Okay, now that I've read a little further back in time I'm guessing it was these classes that kept you out at night. Wish I could have been with you! I love to bead on fabric. Is there a kit or directions somewhere on the web that I could download to make my own? I also love your pink and orange freestyle log cabins. I may be an oddball but those are two of my favorite colors together. :-)

Kate said...

What would happen if you used black sashing? It would help calm down the brights a bit. I like all the brighs, I can see a little girl being absolutely thrilled with that combo.