Sunday, May 08, 2016

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the weekly linkup and celebrate of the art of hand stitching! We are a group of international stitchers who understand that the process of creation is just as important as the end product. We prefer to take our time and enjoy the health benefits of meditative, slow hand stitching. We hope you will enjoy seeing the projects we are working on, and pick up a needle and thread and join us.
My ongoing project is called Life Is Beautiful, a pattern by Helen Stubbings. These are the three kinds of blocks I am hand stitching every week... I like variety! I have one in the hoop to embroider, one of the embroidery blocks being appliqued to a 4 patch background, and the cut away fabric behind the embroidery circle being appliqued onto another 4 patch block.
And here are the first 25 blocks on the design wall. 


I think there are 63 blocks in the finished quilt, so after more than a year of working on this project I am not even at the half way point in block construction. That's okay because I am enjoying every stitch!
Once these are all done, the next step is to hand quilt each block, and then I will join them together in the Quilt-As-You-Go style.
SuperMoms

In Canada we are celebrating Mother's Day today, so Happy Mother's Day to all the fabulous moms out there in our slow stitching community. 
Quilt label
I feel very thankful to come from a long line of wonderful mothers who had the capacity and insight to provide so much unconditional love and guidance to the next generation.


What are you hand stitching today? Link up your blog post below and share your project with us.
Sorry everyone... I am unable to figure out what the problem is with the linkup. After working on it for a long time today, I am no farther ahead in narrowing down how to make it work. Stay tuned to see if I am smart enough to figure it out and/or have enough patience to keep at it!

29 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Blocks are looking awesome 💗💗💗💗💗a very special photo 💗

SandraC said...

Your blocks look wonderful on the design wall! I don't know how many I have done, maybe 10? I'll have to pull them out and take a pic for my blog today, and we'll see.

cozykoza32a@gmail.com said...

Quilting is not a race. Enjoying the process is what it is about.
I did slow slow stitching today but I won't be linking up today. I am too tired to write a blog post etc.
Happy Mothers Day
Kathleen Mary
kathysnest32.wordpress.com

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Oh these look so nice all together on your design wall ! :) Happy Mother's Day to you as well .

Created by Kathi said...

Kathy, I like how you are mixing things up to accomplish sooo much on your LIfe is Beautiful embroidery and applique quilt you are making... looks FAB on your design wall.. Happy Mother's Day to you as it is also Mother's day in the US also!!! :) I am glad you are taking the time to embroider these and applique and cut and applique all in it's own time instead of rushing it! Thanks for that reminder today :) Kathi

Created by Kathi said...

I can't find the linky here currently.. I will visit later and hope the linky is fixed once my post is ready :) Love your header on your blog too! Beautiful sky and quilt!!!
Kathi

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Hi Kathy, no the link up is not showing :)

Deb A said...

Happy Mother's Day to you! No link... but I don't have a post ready yet either =)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

no link on my computer - have a wonderful mother's day we do it the same day here in the states. I love your quilt, thanks for showing how your embroidery pieces will work in it.

CathieJ said...

There is no link up today. Happy Mother's day!

Sarah said...

Your life is beautiful project is looking amazing! I hope you have a fabulous Mother's Day (UK Mother's Day was early March ). Ps that is a great photo by the way!

Denise :) said...

Sweet photo! Happy Mother's Day to you!! No linky up today! LOL! :)

sunny said...

Happy Mother's Day to you! Your blocks are looking great. I like how you're using the cutaway pieces.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

No link up on mine either. I contacted Linky Tools some weeks ago when I was having trouble seeing it before. I think they are having trouble keeping up with all the browser updates. Usually I have to reload the page several times before it shows. I never have any trouble with InLinkz.

Julierose said...

Oh Happy Mother's day--must be the rain that Mr. Linky objects to lol--
love your redwork project...I will be knitting on my just started Yowza shawl in a dark-ish variegated blues and maroons yarn from Miss Babs..and sipping my coffee...in the rain (AGAIN!! sigh) hugs Julierose

Jennifer said...

Your blocks are amazing. I love how they all look together. I hope to buy the pattern one day soon.

Kath said...

I agree with Donna, thats brilliant! I was very interested to follow your link to the QAYG. I was wondering what colour sashing you have in mind. I love those reds and taupes.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I soooo love your life is beautiful quilt!! Happy Mother's Day to you as well.

Sherrie said...

Hi Kathy,
Love your quilt, it will be so pretty when done. I've posted my Slow Stitching. Have an awesome Mother's Day!
http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2016/05/slow-stitching.html

Teresa in Music City said...

The perfect quilt to be working on for Mother's Day! Love this project and so happy to see how you are putting it together!

SandraC said...

Your blocks look wonderful on the design wall! I don't know how many I have done, maybe 10? I'll have to pull them out and take a pic for my blog today, and we'll see.

Unknown said...

I have been stitching today and did try to link but hey it's out there, I also did a wrap on our local quilt show from the weekend with winners if you want to check it out. Love how yours is coming together!

Lyndsey said...

The blocks are looking fabulous

Turid said...

So pretty all together.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Life is Beautiful is just that...beautiful! This should keep you busy for a good long time!

Jo said...

Love the idea of the no waste circles quilt...

paulette said...

Your quilt is looking absolutely GORGEOUS!! This is an heirloom in the making!
P

Kate said...

Life is beautiful is going to be gorgeous.

Paula DiMattei said...

I have enjoyed watching your progress on this fabulous quilt. So much so that I just had to buy the pattern to make it my own. I see it becoming my Slow Stitching Sunday project sometime in the near future. Thanks so much for sharing💕