Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Paper Piecing Project

Not all quilters enjoy paper piecing, and some have a real dislike of it. 
But not me - I really enjoy it.
It's like making a fabric jigsaw puzzle. I like sewing the fabric to the paper and then figuring out how to fit the pieces together to make a pattern.
I've wanted to make a block pattern from Quiltmaker 100 blocks magazine from 2011 (issue #3) and have had it ready to sew for a long time. A new issue of the magazine is soon to be released, so I just had to get out this old project and get going on it. 


I decided to use my 1953 long bed Singer 301 and this project is giving her a good workout sewing through layers of paper and fabric.

Here are the pieces I've completed and there are a couple more to go. It doesn't look like much but it represents hours of sewing!
Can you figure out what I'm making? Fans of the Quiltmaker 100 Blocks magazine can probably guess since it was a really popular pattern.

14 comments:

Frances Meredith said...

Well done. I fall into the dislike camp, but I keep having a go as I don't like to be defeated!

Lyndsey said...

I do paper piecing occasionally and it always work out great but it really isn't my favourite. Having said that the arcs for my double wedding ring quilt are paper pieced and they are fun to put together.

cozykoza32a@gmail.com said...

NOT FOR ME. I MAKE A TERRIBLE MESS OF IT. BUT I DO LIKE TO SEE WHAT OTHERS PP.
Kathleen Mary
https://kathysnest32.wordpress.com/

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

I've done a fair amount but never something as complicated as the one you have. I'm looking forward to seeing it completed!

Josie said...

I'm so impressed. I never thought paper peiced blocks could get so complicated. I've got a headache just trying to figure out how you did it and what it's going to be when it's finished. Both your Singer 301 and your brain got a great workout piecing this block.

Josie said...

I'm so impressed. I never thought paper peiced blocks could get so complicated. I've got a headache just trying to figure out how you did it and what it's going to be when it's finished. Both your Singer 301 and your brain got a great workout piecing this block.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I do like to do small projects with paper piecing, cannot figure out what yours will be, but I bet it is wonderful!

Needled Mom said...

I enjoy the paper piecing too.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I think you must be making the Easter Dress block--so cute! I'm not a paper piecer, so the block I am planning to make from that issue is Bonnie Hunter's Winston Ways.

Deanna W said...

You are such a tease I had to go and look for my copy of the magazine!! Very cute!! Won't give anything away!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I enjoy paper piecing for a mix in all the techniques.

Janet O. said...

I don't mind the foundation piecing process so much--it is the endless removal of papers that makes me think twice! : )

margaret said...

seem to have a mental block when it comes to FPP but hope to one day click with it!

Kate said...

Paper piecing allows you to make blocks you can't do any other way. I'm learning how to do some complicated blocks, but I don't think it will ever be my favorite way to make a quilt.