Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Painting and Beading

I just finished teaching a biweekly beading class for the Canadian Embroiders' Guild and was totally inspired by these creative stitchers.
The first class we painted on fabric using Setacolor paints. In Canada these paints are available from G & S Dye.
I had forgotten how much I love to paint fabric...we had so much fun!
These are some of the paintings made by the students.




Can you see the white kosher salt? It is sprinkled on a painting to give some special effects.


Just look at how the salt is affecting this piece as it dries! The salt is not moving across the fabric, but the salt absorbs the moisture and makes it look like it is drawing the colour across the fabric.



Beaded Bindings

In the following weeks the students learned how to prepare the fabric for beading, practiced a variety of beading stitches, and discussed the process of intuitive bead designing. The last class was on beaded bindings and finishing the projects. 




These are two of the pieces made in the class. I was inpsired by these creative students, and I hope they had as much fun as I did! 

9 comments:

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

Wow, that beading class sounds great! I'd love to take one sometime. Thank you for sharing your students artwork.

Julierose said...

Just lovely works...love seeing them..sounds like a super class...hugs, Julierose

SandraC said...

I tried those paints years ago and don't know why I don't try it again. I did the salt one. I also set fabric out on the lawn with small maple leaves on it and it made a beautiful piece.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I need you to teach me beading, for a project I've been planning for years.

Janet O. said...

Such pretty stuff--the fabric and the beading! You are so multi-talented!! : )

Nell's Quilts said...

Sounds like so much fun! Beautiful work. Love the cabochon piece.

Needled Mom said...

Beautiful!

Maria Teresa Valente said...

Acabamento muito lindo!
Obrigada, abraços

Kate said...

Beautifully colored fabric and the bead work is gorgeous!