Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Last Scrap Squad Quilt


I have been working on my last Scrap Squad quilt. I am very sad that this wonderful experience is coming to an end, but am greatly enjoying working on my last quilt.
Shades of grey

Here are some photos of my project. 
The scraps I am using are grey. Yuck. I hate grey, so am happy to be clearing them out. Grey is the focus of my local guild's 25th anniversary challenge called "25 Shades of Grey", so I am combining my scrap squad quilt with this challenge. And it is indeed a challenge for me to sew with so much grey. I did have to go to the store to buy a few darker grey fabrics, but this was what I started with. 
The theme is shades of grey, degrees of uncertainty, difficult decisions to be made where there is no clear answer.  The course of a life is the total sum of all of these grey decisions. 
And so is a quilt. When you are creating a quilt, from the beginning to the end, from picking the pattern and the fabrics, to the quilting designs and finishing flourishes, each decision made along the way changes the outcome. 
Be careful!

What doesn't change for me is that I need lots of humour in my life and in my quilting, so I love this grey fabric with the big eyes, and I love this photo of the eyes watching me quilt!
Decisions, Decisions




Be on the look out for the big reveal when all the decisions have been made and the quilt is finished. 

16 comments:

Janet O. said...

I'm not a fan of grey, either, but it is so popular.
I do, however, love that eyeball fabric--it does appear that you are being watched as you stitch. How does anyone survive without humor?

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I have a lot of grey in my scrap stash and have been using Kona Ash a lot in baby quilts - popular right now. I like it sprinkled with blacks bits - like adding freshly ground pepper - a bit of a bite.

Quilting Babcia said...

I guess gray must be the new neutral. Don't have much in my stash, after using up most of the ash-gray batiks in my campfire memories string quilt, but it worked well there. Love that eyeball fabric, too cute!

Lyndsey said...

I have very little grey but I did use silver grey in a 25th wedding anniversary quilt and it looked great. I love the eye fabric and I can't wait to see your finished quilt.

Jeanna said...

What an accurate analogy. The eyes made me laugh. I'm looking forward to the big reveal.

Mary said...

Your RED cheers up all that grey! Can't wait to see your finished quilt. you're keeping us all in suspense. Cute eyeball fabric. I'm going to miss the Scrap squad posts!

SandraC said...

I've made a couple of quilts for younger people lately and know that they like grey as a neutral now. I don't know quite how it happened but I think I'm a convert. I look at my beiges/taupes and don't know what i'll do with them.

MissPat said...

One of the things I don't understand about modern quilters is their enthusiam for using gray as a background/neutral, especially in baby and kid quilts. But that's what makes the quilting community so great, the diversity and creativity.
Enjoy your decision-making.

Jean said...

Can't wait to see it

Ellen said...

Brings me back to the early 80s when gray became very popular as well. I don't mind it but I do still prefer beige as my neutrals.

Deanna W said...

Can't wait to see it...love those googly eyes!!

Lorna McMahon said...

Isn't it funny that there are quilters who shy away from using certain colours in their quilts. I have a lot of trouble with purple. Your progress is "looking" great!

Needled Mom said...

Looking forward to the big reveal.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I am not a fan of grey, either. Good luck!

allthingzsewn said...

You are a tease. In the 30 seconds it took me to open this I had all kinds of thought of quilts running in my head and what do I fine. You are making us wait for the reveal. It's not nice to tease.

Kate said...

Gray can be such a great foil for bright fabrics, but it's not one of my go to colors either.