Saturday, May 30, 2015

Slow Sunday Stitching & Auction Report

Life is Beautiful Block #9
What crazy weather we had yesterday! It was so hot in the morning, I didn't know if I would be able to stay at the quilt auction, and you just know it must be really  bad when I can't stay at a quilt event! I did work on some hand embroidery to distract myself from melting, and finished block #9 of Life Is Beautiful.






My little sewing group's Sunshine Quilt was sold for $450 and we are very happy about that! We have raised over $2,000 for the relief efforts of the MCC.






In February I made a block for the "Canada: What it means to me" quilt. You can see my block to the top left of the centre medallion. You can read more about it here.
This quilt sold for $3,200!!



Photo by Dolores Sedore

The top seller of the day was the "Threads of Africa" quilt (read more about it here). This photo was emailed to me by Dolores and is much better than the photo I took at the auction. It really is a spectacular quilt... 
it sold for $42,000!
For real! It was very exciting to be there, and made the heat exhaustion worthwhile.


In the afternoon there was a huge downpour, and the temperature became more bearable. When it was time to leave, we had to swim to our cars! Just look at all that rain. The gardens needed the rain, but so much rain fell so quickly that the ground couldn't absorb it.


Don't little boys love to play in puddles? And this was a very big puddle for them to enjoy. I watched these guys have fun for quite a while.
I think they enjoyed the puddle as much as I enjoyed the quilt auction!


And while I waited to leave, it continued to rain, and I continued to stitch. The stitches are a little wobbly so don't biggy size the photo. The traffic was at a stand still, and look how much I got stitched on my next block! I will be putting more stitches in today.

What are you hand stitching? Link up your blog post below and share a photo of where you do your hand stitching. In a car, at the park, in the waiting room, on the patio... any place is a great stitching place!









23 comments:

the girlfriend gap said...

Amazing quilts. Would have loved to be at the auction. Thanks for sharing. Janita

The Cozy Quilter said...

I have been to the auction before but not for many years. When I was in high school, my home ec teacher and I went to the auction. She and I were both interested in quilts and we had a great day. This probably would not happen now!!! Your group has made some wonderful quilts over the years!

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

Wow, that auction sounds like fun. We have been getting a lot of rain here too lately. Hope you don't flood like Texas!

Janet O. said...

Sounds like a lot of money is raised at this auction! That Threads of Africa is incredible--so is the bid!

margaret said...

how wonderful to have raised so much for these beautiful quilts

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

A day of extreme contrasts in regards to the weather but how wonderful that you and your group raised so much for the fund! : )

CathieJ said...

That quilt auctions sounds wonderful. The quilts are all beautiful. Threads of Africa is gorgeous.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Lovely quilts at the auction. Congratulations on the work you did.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Wow! So nice to see those wonderful quilts appreciated. So glad they did so well. Lots of puddles here too!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Wow--those are amazing prices for some awesome quilts--looks like a fun day despite the weather!

Cathy said...

How exciting to be part of those auction quilts!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Wow, that's one successful auction! Glad things cooled off for you, too.

Suzanne said...

Beautiful quilts for the auction! I need to be more like you and carry a project with me whenever I am in the car....great use of time in a traffic jam!

Teresa in Music City said...

Congratulations on your group's quilt doing so well in the auction! And that one selling for 40K+ - WOW!!!! It's good to see a quilt being highly valued that way :*)

Kate said...

Wow, those are some gorgeous quilts! We've been seeing rain like that for weeks now. Hopefully, you'll get enough to keep everything green and no more.

Julierose said...

YAY--I was able to link up today--(I am so linky challenged!!--ya think??) anyhoo...you are getting all the rains we NEED--our grass is turning brown already and it looks as if the ocean breezes will blow this next storm away AGAIN!! Thanks for the link up --hugs, Julierose

Sarah said...

What beautiful quilts, it's wonderful to hear that they raised so much money! Boy did it rain! In the UK we are ok for rain at the moment! Lol!

Turid said...

You always impress me with your embroideries.

Jeanne said...

We have been having crazy weather here, too. It's in the 80s one day and we put the a/c on and then the next day it's in the 40s and we turn on the furnace. LOL Great quilts for the auction and your latest embroidery block is beautiful!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Looks like the auction raised lots of money for relief. I've only gotten to stitch once, since early May. I even took a project on the trip with me, but, never had a chance to pull it out. Hopefully I'll get some stitching done in June.

SuperMomNoCape said...

What beautiful quilts! It must have been thrilling to watch them being auctioned off... especially the Threads of Africa one.

Middle daughter and I got caught in that sudden downpour yesterday on the way back from Exeter to London. We actually ended up having to pull over to the side of the road and wait for it to slack off a bit because I couldn't see the road. Today's all day rain has been much better for the garden because it's been a steady, mostly gentle rain.

Stephie said...

Really enjoyed this post Kathy! What a fabulous auction. I've also been stitching in the car this week - it's quite therapeutic isn't it?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I forgot to link yesterday so today instead! what wonderful quilts you show