Friday, February 20, 2015

Canada Block Challenge

This is the challenge block I made for the St. Jacobs Quilts Show Block Challenge. The theme for the challenge was "Canada", and all blocks had to include the maple leaf fabric.
I got the inspiration for my block from the Quiltmaker blogpost for the 4" Bitty Basket Block pattern
I made 4 baskets and realized that when I sewed them all together the block would only measure 8", and the rules stated that the block must be 10".  So I added 2" of sashing through the middle to bring it up to the correct size. 



There are 97 pieces in this little block and although it looks big on the computer screen, it really is small out in the real world! It was fun to sew but I am glad it is finally finished, because today is the last day to submit the challenge blocks. 

14 comments:

Bonnie said...

Nice block.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

It is a great block, love the maple leaf fabric.

Janet O. said...

Excellent job. Great fussy-cut leaf in the center. I love that this is all so small.
Love the detail at the bottom of the baskets--two of them are blasting off and two of them are vacuuming up the leaves. : )

Monica said...

I think you did a wonderful job on this, Kathy! It has a Canadian flavour, but without the maple leaf cliche. Good luck!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Very cute block--clever idea to make it larger!

Angie in SoCal said...

A great block. I like the scrappiness of it and how it still looks so colorfast. Bet you get in. I invite you to share this block on WIPs Be Gone cuz you've made progress and that little challenge to yourself is gone. Thanks for sharing, Kathy.

Lisa J. said...

Very nice. I like it with the sashing.

Kathy's A Quilter said...

Great improvising with your block. O'Canada

Scrappy quilter said...

Very pretty. I like how you improvised and made it work.

Andee Neff said...

It is lovely!

Jo said...

It's a great block. Such tiny pieces too

Kate said...

Great improvisation there at the end to get it where it needed to be. What a fun block.

Mary said...

Fun way to make the block the correct size! The Fussy Cut center is great. Will your block go in a bigger quilt after the Challenge?

Missy Shay said...

I love your block!