Friday, February 06, 2015

Building Log Cabins

Do you remember the log cabin project?
This has been my "no thinking required", mindless relaxing piecing project for a long time. I have my white Featherweight set up to sew exclusively on these blocks. 
What a wonderful machine!
I adopted this project from someone's UFO closet. She had already precut much of the fabric before she fell out of love with the whole shebang. I sewed as many blocks as I could and then I needed to search out more blue fabrics to cut logs for the remaining unfinished blocks.
Thanks to my quilt friends Deanna and Barb, I was able to get some similar blue fabrics that were needed to continue on... quilting friends are the best! You would really have to get your nose up to the blocks to see the different blues that have been added.
So I have returned to building more log cabin blocks, but when being distracted by yummy cookies, I admit to having made a few errors. 
Where's that seam ripper?!?
I missed QuiltCam earlier this week, so today I will watch the archived version over at YouTube, and "visit" with Bonnie while I do some unsewing.

16 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I love log cabin blocks - and chocolate chip cookies! Congratulations - I see you are the Scrap Squad - how cool is that!!!

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

The only thing I noticed in that picture was the cookies!

beaquilter said...

love the log cabins, need to bust out my go die and do some more

Deanna W said...

Blue and yellow...my favorite combination. Of course flour,water and chocolate chips made into cookies another favourite...
Oops I'd say you were definitely distracted! I am saving quiltcam for Sunday when I sit and do some slow stitching with ya!!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I think the mindless sewing is one of the reasons why I love log cabin quilts. Yours is coming along splendidly ... love the yellow and blue combo! (My ooopsies usually occur when I put the blocks together - I'll inevitably have at least one turned wrong.)

Missy Shay said...

I've been making log cabin blocks too, I had to seam rip almost a whole block because it was 1/2 an inch too short! LOL I love the blues and yellows you are doing!

liniecat said...

My nan used to say
A man on a galloping horse wont notice ( old Yorkshire saying lol)
and it covers a lot of ground I reckon!
smashing blocks and lovely that pals came up trumps, it adds to its provenance when completed!
I have to say, at first glance, that bun appeared to be a dollop of doggy doodle lol had to look twice LOL

Quilter Kathy said...

Thanks! I am so excited!

Janet O. said...

Log Cabins have never been "mindless" sewing to me. I do far too much of what you are going to be ripping out, and I don't even need the cookies to distract me--though I'd like them. : )
How large of a quilt will these pretty blocks be making?

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I love log cabin quilts--this looks like the start of something very pretty!

Kathy MacKie said...

I have yet to do a Log Cabin and after seeing yours I think what am I waiting for, thanks for sharing and I can almost smell those yummy cookies.

Scrappy quilter said...

Log cabin quilts are some of my favorite quilts. It is the block I'm teaching this week at my quilting class. There are so many ways to lay the blocks out. Can't wait to see how you finish yours.

Mary said...

I like the Yellow and Blues together My seam ripper works overtime on Log Cabins. Glad you could help a fellow quilter out.

Nann said...

Congratulations to being named to the Scrap Squad!

Karen said...

The best looking of your log cabin blocks is the one with the cookies on it.

Kate said...

It's the sugar overload from the cookies, it's been known to override some of my higher brain functions.