Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Bitty Baskets

Have you seen the Bitty Blocks on Quilty Pleasures
On the first monday of each month a new free block pattern is posted. I wasn't enticed by the January bowtie block, but I was quite smitten with the 4" February basket block. I got out my collection of baby HST blocks, and opened up one of the baggies to try just one block. The 1.5" HSTs are the bonus triangles from my Angel Solstice quilt. I only needed to press and size them. I love the Bloc Loc ruler for trimming HSTs. It has an indentation underneath the ruler that snugs up against the seam and makes it easier to trim the blocks accurately. It's an expensive little ruler, but I think it was worth my money for how often I have used it.



And here is my test block.
Uh oh... I can tell right now that these are addictive. It went together smoothly (since I had the tiny HSTs already made), it is tiny and adorable, and I am using up scraps. 
What could be better?

20 comments:

Deb A said...

Very cute. I really need to stop visiting as there are always some great ideas here. If I get one more finish (almost have my first finish of the year), maybe I can try a basket with some extra hst's. As you said...it IS using up scraps!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I have some little HST's around here somewhere.... Very cute little block!

swooze said...

You might need a twelve step program...lol.

Kristin said...

I love my Bloc-Loc ruler, too :)

Deanna W said...

Those are itty bitty!!!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Of all my quilty tools, I think my Bloc-Loc ruler is probably the best! Wish they'd take that concept and use it to make squaring up square blocks (like 4 patches, etc.).

I just love that basket block and have a goal to make a quilt using that block ... just not sure if I'm going to make it using 4" blocks. ;-)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love it those blocks are so tiny!!

julieQ said...

Nothing. Nothing could be better!! Your block is so cute!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I love my Bloclock ruler. I bought a larger one, and can use it for tiny to larger sizes.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

That's pretty cute and very tempting!

Scrappy quilter said...

That is one pretty block. Hmmm I might just have to try those. I have some pretty small HST's.

Julianne said...

Oh my gosh, yours are so cute and PERFECT! I am working on these slowly, maybe one or two in between other things....they are such small pieces! I think I have six done..

Audrey said...

When the HST are already sewn, the baskets are so quick. I am doing the same as you, using some of my crumbs from other projects. I love my Block Loc rulers. I first had a 6 1/2" square and then got a 3 1/2" square for bitty blocks. Trimming is quicker and more accurate.

Terri said...

I haven't started mine yet. I've really never made HST before.
Hugs

Mary said...

I have a Bunch of Tiny Hst's. Very Tempting- CAN'T Take time to start another thing right now! I'll just watch your pretty, little, bitty baskets. I'm walking away slowly from the Computer...gotta go sew my Samples.

audrey said...

So sweet! Love them.:)

Andee said...

This block got my in too...TOO cute and not too time consuming if one has the hst's on hand!

Janet O. said...

Oh, I have seen these on other blogs and have been working very hard to resist! You AREN'T helping at all!
Love the explosion coming from the bottom of your basket. : )

Kate said...

Very cute little basket block! You'll have such fun projects.

moosecraft said...

Awesome! I love the way the fabrics are adding to the design.... like a basket full of fireworks! :-)