Wednesday, February 25, 2015

4 B's

This week I've been working on Borders, Backing, Batting, and Binding.

I put the Borders on my UFO of the month... finally. 
Nothing complicated. 
Simple and done.
Nothing like leaving it until the last minute! I'm fairly certain that this quilt won't be finished in the month of February. 

I have been working on a Backing for this UFO. I prefer a pieced backing if possible, and have been cutting polka dot fabric strips to sew a large block log cabin block for the backing.


I bought a new 18 meter roll of Warm and Natural Batting. This should last me almost to the end of the year - approx. 2 meters used per bed quilt, and 1 UFO finish per month from now on = 22 meters. I like having this on hand and being able to cut the size I need with less wastage.



And I needed to finish the Binding on my Scrap Squad quilt, since the finished quilt will be posted on the Quiltmaker blog on Friday.  It needed to get done in a hurry, and although I usually love hand binding, this one gave me hand cramps. You know what they say about "too much of a good thing"!?! It's all fun and games until the blisters and the muscle cramps start!

14 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I like to piece backs too - and buy my batt by the roll (cheaper and less waste). I can't wait to see your scrap squad quilt. AND you go first - whoot!!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I will need to buy another roll of binding soon too...
Can't wait to see your quilt!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have thought of getting one of those big rolls of batting but I have no place to put it!! really and truly - maybe one day I will come up with a place to hide it in the house so it will be out of the way

Mary said...

Yea, we get to see your 1st Scrap Squad quilt! Love you B's. Blisters don't sound fun...

Mary said...

Yea, we get to see your 1st Scrap Squad quilt! Love you B's. Blisters don't sound fun...

Bonnie said...

Impressive getting so much progress on all of these projects. I love having a roll of batting to use as needed. The first roll lasted me nearly two years. I hate hand sewing binding. But I do it on occasion. Keep up the great work.

Scrappy quilter said...

Don't you just love the batting. More wonderful work.

Deanna W said...

I hear holding long stem wine glasses help with those blisters and hand cramps!!
I love having large rolls of batting on hand...there is no searching for a piece large enough for big quilts...it is always there!!

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

I love the UFO quilt! I also buy batting by the roll when it is on sale.

Janet O. said...

Are blisters the fifth B?
That is a fun idea to do a giant log cabin for your polka dot quilt back.
Can't wait to see what you made for the Scrap Squad!

beaquilter said...

jealous of the roll of batting, mine is finally getting small too, I also had a roll of some other batting that was cheaper and I was told it was very close to Warm and natural and it was NOT....suffered thru it and finished it in January I think while also using my GOOD bolt....

Deb A said...

I love the batting on a roll. I can't wait to see the reveal on Friday. So exciting.

Chantal said...

Great border on that UFO. It makes the squares pop! Love it. Good luck with your other goals.

Kate said...

I love your version of Sweet Treats!