Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Adding to the herd

I am almost embarrassed to admit to my blog readers that I have acquired two more sewing machines! I know. It's out of control. But what could I say when a faithful blog reader asked me if I would like an old sewing machine or two? Of course I said YES! And then she told me they are 301s. I gulped and tried to remain calm, but couldn't wait to meet them, since I don't think I've ever seen one in real life.
So, here are my new old machines which are both Singer 301s. 


Meet machine #1 - a long bed Singer 301



Maybe she was a school sewing machine because she has the "T419" with permanent marker written on her? 
According to this article on dating your Singer, the machine's serial number is NA349993 which indicates it was made in 1953 in Anderson, South Carolina.
Look at this interesting sticker on the bottom of the machine. Canada was trying to take some credit here!



Meet machine #2 - a short bed Singer 301

Her serial number is NA294165, so she was also made in 1953 in Anderson, South Carolina.
These sewing machines must be long lost sewing sisters. 
And since they were born in 1953, I think I'll call them Lucy and Ethel! I can't think of more appropriate names for the 1950's, can you?!?!


These machines also came with some attachments, but I don't know what all these things are yet. I do know that the two bobbins that were in the box are not for the 301. One is plastic (no plastic for these old gals!) and the other bobbin is too wide for the 301 bobbin case.


Can you see the difference?
The bobbin with the grey thread is the right one. 

I have started to get to know them. First I read about them on line - Judy Laquidara loves her 301s and I read her review here
More interesting information about 301s can be found here and here.
Then I started cleaning and oiling the machines, and buttering them up by telling them how beautiful they are. And then it was time for the big test... can they sew?!?!
First time out of the gate, they both sewed beautifully. Yippee....they both work and made a perfectly tensioned stitch!
They also have a very unique sound when they sew that I really like. It's amazing how each machine has it's own voice. 
So now I am a "collector" apparently. 
And sewing machine collectors call their machines "the herd".  These old gals gravitate to my herd because they know I love them and they will be used and well cared for.  (For a funny blog post on my kind of "problem", click here)
A big thanks to my blog reader Liz who allowed me to adopt these beautiful Singers into my care. 

37 comments:

Angie said...

So happy for you to have received such a wonderful gift! I love stitching with my 301! Guess you ARE a collector now!

sunny said...

How exciting! I've been tempted a couple of times, but I just don't have the space for an entire herd. Have fun with them.

Created by Kathi said...

Congrats on getting 2 great machines! I just bought... am anxiously waiting on delivery of .. my own 301A :) It is two toned and those were only available in the short bed. I am tickled you could show the machines looking beautiful from their initiation into your herd( lol) and being used! Thanks for sharing.. you are lucky and blessed! Kathi

Karen said...

I am watching for an amazing deal on a black 301. Can't get much more of an amazing deal than you got.

Ellen said...

I love my 301 machines as well. They make great travel machines. I don't have a fw but these are so light that they make a great substitute.

Deb A said...

Congrats! If you go to the singer site you can download the manuel for the sewing machines which explains all the different feet. I have a 301... maybe she'll have to come out of the table and play today to see if I can get the tension correct. Enjoy Lucy and Ethel. I know they are at a great home.

Jill said...

How wonderful. Two of them is a bonus. I recently acquired a 301A this past year. Mine was purchased at an estate sale in which I had to get up early in order to be the first one in the door. It is a beige short bed from 1956. Thanks for the link so that I can learn more about it. Congrats on your new herd. One cannot have too many featherweights. :-)

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOVE their names!

Lilian Pilar said...


dos bellezas de máquina y su sonido al coser son música para los oídos, y para la vista un deleite ya que su puntada es perfecta...
Felicitaciones!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love my 301s! Great machines for teaching others because they are so trouble free and make such a great stitch! Enjoy!

Deanna W said...

Liz must have known they would be going to a good home. You are so lucky to have not just one but two! I think that will be my next addition to my herd which is growing too! Happy sewing!!
Seeing that pic of you sewing...made me think of a song..."toot toot toot looking out my front door!"

Needled Mom said...

Those are beautiful. I love my 301 too. Have fun with them.

Linda said...

What a special friend you have!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What sweet machines from a sweet friend. Enjoy them, talk to them, pet them, even sing with them - I sing with my machines, don't you?

Debra said...

Congratulations!!!! So glad you were able to adopt these beautiful girls! Wishing you lots of years of joyful stitches!

Beth said...

ah! I KNEW we were sewing sisters! I have 2 301s and THREE featherweights! Not convinced my DH knows about all of them! The 301 bobbin case and bobbins are the same as the Fw, so you can search for them under FW too if you want. I DID resist ANOTHER 301 on Craigslist last week. SIGH

Debbie said...

You and those machines are so lucky to find each other! Perfect names!

Mary said...

I knew when I read on my Blogroll that you got a new machine. 2 is even better. Can I come see with you? I want a 301 longbed!!

Terri said...

Serious sewing machine envy! I have a 401a! Love it. My repair man (machine was taken in for a deep cleaning and oiling by my hubby who doesn't know that a plain jane like me can do it herself...) Anyway, my repairman said that all the newer plastic machines on the wall in his store would be garbage before my 401a would be any trouble. I was quite proud to now own my Mom's machine. (She is still with us, but gave up the machine to my sister years ago, and I got it from my Sis who kept the treadle.) I really didn't know what he meant until I purchased a new machine. (I had to keep working on the wedding quilt for my granddaughter while my 401A was in the shop for a funny noise.) The new machine was trash - Sorry Singer, but when you adopted the new way to thread a machine you created garbage. I took the thing back to the store. They shouldn't sell stuff like that. It's why the younger gen. doesn't sew.
Sorry about the rant, but you know what I mean. Congrats on your new acquisitions.
Hugs

Rebecca in AK said...

Congratulations! They look like excellent machines. So wonderful that they sew so well right off. Love your choice of names! I have so many good things about 301s, I guess they are true.

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh you lucky girl you!!! They look like they are in marvelous shape!!! They will give you many wonderful hours of joy!

Never apologize for giving a sewing machine a good home :) I have tried to keep my herd down to a minimum, but it is really hard! Different machines tackle jobs in totally different ways and one is better in one application than another. I switch up my machines according to the job.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Men in kilts and sewing machine fairies...you are having quite the week :)

Unknown said...

I absolutely love my 301's! So happy for you!

Lori said...

Congrats! I too (hanging my head) have this problem.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love their names, perfect! I love old machines too. Something about that metal and paint jobs but I know we will move again so I just say no to myself.

Janet O. said...

You lucky gal--and I absolutely LOVE their names!
The machines are lucky, too, to have such a good, loving home! : )

Kate said...

Very fun acquistions! Love the names you picked out for them, very appropriate.

ozone3 said...

I bought a 301 last year and absolutely love it. It is definitely a workhorse!!

Just an FYI: If you buy any "new" parts for it (bobbin case or feet), try to get the vintage ones that came off an original machine. The new remodel ones didn't work on mine.

Vivian said...

I'm a new owner of a 301 and look forward to learning all her fine qualities. I didn't realize how beloved and sought after they are until I bought her. Mine was the same--sewed right out of the box with a soft sound and wonderful tension. Now I have to come up with a name for her so we can be best friends. Love the names you chose for your ladies.
Best wishes and happy stitching!

Julianne said...

Awesome! I have two 301's also...a short bed named Betsy and a longbed named Beatrice! They are the BEST machines ever, only ones that I use faithfully! Enjoy!

margaret said...

can see these will be well loved, how many are in the collection now?

Missy Shay said...

How pretty, of course you couldn't say no!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Congrats on your new (to you) 301's. I love mine. I got another 301 while on vacation this month. I can't wait to clean her up and see if she'll sew.

Phyllis in Iowa said...

Singer 301s are wonderful sewing machines. I love all of eight of mine. They sew beautiful stitches and sound so sweet while doing so.

Brenda said...

I bought a two-toned 301 in a cabinet last month and haven't really given her a workout. Good for you for showing us your herd! I now have a 301 and two Featherweights -- both given to me, one by my mother, another by a neighbour.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

oooh they are lovely...and how wonderful to be in a loving home. I have 5 machines now...all different but all good at what they do...I wouldn't be without them.

Phyllis in Iowa said...

I love my Singer 301s. I mostly sew on a mocha long bed, but feel the black ones are more "sexy", that is, if a sewing machine can be sexy. Here in Iowa, the LBOW (light beige/oyster white) are more difficult to find.