Thursday, May 15, 2014

May For Me


I wanted to try something new to celebrate May For Me.  
I have been reading Dan Siegel's research on the importance of creating new neuropathways, having a healthy balanced life, and trying new things.
So I made a batch of Dandelion Jelly! 
Who ever heard of that?!? Somehow in blogland I came across the recipe (click here) and decided I was going to try it.

Dandelions are very plentiful around here in May and I think they look so pretty making your green lawn sparkle with some yellow flowers. But everyone hates them because they will take over your entire lawn if you let them get out of control.
So I picked a bowl of dandelions at my house and in my parent's backyard to try this jelly recipe. Believe me, I took a lot of teasing from certain people for doing this! But for some unknown reason, it seemed like something interesting and quirky to try... so I did!
 I did not use scissors as recommended to clip the flower heads, but did put on disposable gloves because these dandelions make a big yellow mess!
I tried to remove as much of the green leaves and stems as possible by hand.



I love the Bernardin dissolvable labels. See the leftover label from last year that I just couldn't scrape off? That doesn't happen with these labels - they wash right away.

And here are the finished jars of Dandelion Jelly.
Aren't they so pretty sitting on the window ledge?
However, I must say that I like the appearance of the jelly more than the taste! It's not that I dislike it, but I don't like it nearly as well as blueberry or strawberry jam. Also, it was a lot of time and effort for 5 jars of jelly!
So I think that's a "once in a lifetime" event for me... I can cross it off the bucket list now and look for something new and unique to try next! LOL


What interesting things are you planning to do to treat yourself during May For Me
You can check out more postings over at Marcia's.

19 comments:

Terry said...

It does look pretty, but I don't think I'll be making any anytime soon. It's good to try new things though. :0)

Ellen said...

Good for you for trying something new. The jars of jelly do look pretty.

Dolores said...

I wasn't planning on anything but, I did purchase some new clothes and fabric. My son was collecting dandelions for wine but I don't think he followed through. I hope you don't have dogs and cats that frequent your yard.

beaquilter said...

never heard of this before, neat! I haven't made jelly since I was a kid watching my mom, I NEED to do it this year.... any tips or tricks? we have a big veggie garden this year.... lots of tomatoes so I do want to can those too and for the first time this year we'll have apples, I see some tiny ones on the tree, I think we'll only get 5 apples, but that's okay, next year will be better :)

dortha said...

Very pretty jars of jelly. My husband made it one year. He was on a kick, he made dandelion jelly, dandelion wine (extra large yuck), acorn cornbread and tried to make something out of sweet gum balls. The jelly turned out the best. You are right a lot of work without much to show for it.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it seems like I have heard of this jelly and that you can make wine out of it too - but have never tried it! you say you don't care for it all that much - can you compare a taste? sweet I image as sugar in it - compares to what fruit do you think?

Deanna W said...

I have made it last year but I don't have any luck with jelly setting up so I have dandelion syrup! May for me, I was not aware of but I spent yesterday with a friend and we went to a quilt store sale, Micheal and another yarn/quilt store. So I guess I did do soemthing for me!!! Have a great day!Bonnie's quilt cam tonight!!

Juliann in WA said...

I have been reading about the health benefits of dandelion tea and was thinking I might try and make some with our dandelions. Love the color.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

They do look pretty. Congrats on your win over at Sharon's blog.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

My great gran did jelly and wine (know for her wines) and can remember picking flowers along side her - thank you for that memory. Be sure you link up your post

Rebecca in AK said...

This was a new one for me. The jelly looks very pretty! Too bad it does not taste as good as it looks!

Terri said...

You can make wine from dandelions too. My Godfather let me try some of his batch. It was yummy and smooth.
Hugs

Chantal said...

Oh! it does look pretty sitting in the sun like that! It will make a sunny spread on toasts for rainy mornings. My grandma did wine and honey from dandelions. Baby leaves are also good in salad. Just say.
Enjoy your jelly ... and spread the sunshine! :D

Janet O. said...

Good for you for trying it, Kathy. You never know.
We are surrounded by pastures full of dandelions. I could make enough to feed an army, if I was so inclined (but I am not). : )

Jan Marie said...

I love that you tried it.

Lisa J. said...

It does look beautiful Kathy. Too bad it's taste doesn't match its beauty. Maybe its an aquired(sp?) taste and you'll love it by the last jar.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

They are beautiful!! :) I made alot of jam last year...several varieties... ( FRUIT, though : ) so I have an idea of the work involved / it's alot, isn't it! I recall reading something about violets last year as well as dandelions. I decided to just pick my violets to put in a vase with water...no consumption! :0)


Teresa in Music City said...

You are my hero Kathy! I love it! Indeed, I believe that is exactly how we stay young and alive - trying new things and exploring outside the box of our normal lives. Way to go - and I'm glad to know now that I don't want to try making Dandelion Jelly LOL!!!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I always feel sorry for the dandelions as they are so pretty...but yes invasive! I love your jars in the window. See ya Sunday for Slow Stitchin!