Friday, December 13, 2013

Celtic Solstice Mystery Clue Day!


I  have been working on step #2 of Celtic Solstice mystery, but putzing along slowly due to feeling under the weather. Here are all my pieces cut, counted and ready to go. I debated using my Angler tool to piece these blocks, but decided to spend my resting time drawing lines instead.
I enjoy the meditative process of drawing the diagonal sewing line, which ensures accuracy. And I found that if I draw a second line 3/8" away from the diagonal line, I get a bonus half square triangle block that measures exactly 1.5"... yippee! You know how I love these little blocks!


Here are all the pieces just waiting for me to sew. You can see that I made one wrong unit, and then sewed one the correct way. Now I know what not to do! How long do you think it might take to sew 99 more of them??!
I think I will postpone peeking at step #3 until I finish step #2 - maybe!

15 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Tee Hee - I made that same mistake on the first 10! I am going slowly on this step too. Normally at this size sew-flip corner I would just 'aim and shoot', but took the time to draw the lines.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Tee Hee - I made that same mistake on the first 10! I am going slowly on this step too. Normally at this size sew-flip corner I would just 'aim and shoot', but took the time to draw the lines.

Ivani said...

I also drew a secong line and get 400 bonus HTS. I didn't want to waste all that triangles, and I am so happy I save them. Hugs

beaquilter said...

sewing the part together is EASY it's the triangles that take for ever! #3 is easy :)

Sheila said...

Oh yes. I did three or four going the wrong way. Had to slow down and concentrate with Clue 2. Clue 3 looks okay.

Mary said...

Over on Facebook I've seen a LOT of different ways to mess up this unit. Yours is an easy fix. I saved my bonus triangles, but didn't sew them. I might turn then into hourglass units instead of hst's. Headed over to see the next clue now.

Deb A said...

Wow.... Whatever will you make with those tiny hst's? I'll just have to wait and see.
Hopefully I can get back on the mystery after Christmas.

Janet O. said...

I know you will put those bonus HSTs to good use.
And from what I have seen around the 'net, be glad you only made one unit the wrong way before discovering the mistake!! : )

AnnieO said...

Oh, good thing you double checked! Love your colors. I'm feeling under the weather too and will spend some time drawing lines of my own :)

Raewyn said...

Looks like you are having fun with this. I haven't done one of Bonnie's mysteries yet but each year I am tempted! Great to sew those extra hst :-) Hope you feel better soon.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I love the fabrics you picked.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I love your new blog header... So fun! I use my angler sometimes but mostly I draw the lines. It just feels more accurate!

Andee said...

Looking good, don't peek at my blog if you don't want to know about step three I just posted my work on it! I will tell you that it seems like an easier clue than two though! :)

Jackie at Adirondack Urban said...

It's good to know I'm not the only one who sewed the block wrong at first!, good thing we caught the mistake before getting too far!

Kate said...

You have to really thing about those chevrons before you sew them! Love the color scheme you are using for this project.