Monday, November 04, 2013

Design Wall Monday - November UFO

That darn "Roll, Roll Cotton Boll" just does not want to be finished! I started it in late 2010, and really wanted it to be finished in 2013. I even put it on my UFO list for 3 months of "A Lovely Year of Finishes" - AprilAugust and October. Although it has inched towards completion, it still is not done, and we tired of looking at each other! After reading this post from Audrey, I think it must be stuck in the incubating stage (notice how I cleverly blame the quilt and not the quiltmaker!) so I've decided to leave it there to percolate, and I am moving on to finish something else this month. Hopefully it will be a more cooperative project!

In November I am going to focus on finishing another of Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilts - 3 Sisters Grace (my version of Orca Bay).
All this needs is some quilting time, and I have the batting and backing all ready.
Should be an easier finish for November, and I can happily start Bonnie's new mystery called Celtic Solstice.
To see more design walls, hop over to Patchwork Times.
And to see more November UFO goals, check out the link up at Sew Bittersweet Designs.

12 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

A friend who was trying to pick which UFO to work on next was told to pick the one that was nearest completion...this leads to a higher chance of finishing it in a shorter time! I think this UFO will be off your list very soon! Beautiful quilt.

Deb A said...

I think you made a sound decision. Enjoy working on your quilt this month. That RRCB is a very bossy quilt! Send her to a time out.

Deanna W said...

I am trying to be good. My Orca Bay is done but Easy Street is waiting and I am going to try to avoid the new mystery...maybe!
Hang in there and don't give up, you are soooo close!

Karen said...

That quilt has so many pieces in it! And looks oh so good.

Beth said...

I love your colors! I have decided to do Celtic Solstice also. FIRST I have to piece/quilt/bind a memory quilt, go out of town for a long weekend..oh, and piece backing/quilt/bind a quilt before WEDNESDAY to take with me on the long weekend! I better put it in gear! Looking forward to seeing your fabric choices for Celtic Solstice...

Janet O. said...

When I saw the photo of this quilt in the thumbnail on my blog reader I had to catch my breath. It is so striking! I love it.
You know, Kathy, I had a "duh" moment when you were making this top. I recall reading early on that you were subbing something else for the string blocks and making the quilt a little smaller. Silly, I know, but for some reason it hadn't occurred to me to deviate from the instructions in any way (though I do it ALL the time with other patterns). So I decided then and there that I could make this--my own way. I subbed the striped shirts for the string blocks and made it smaller. Now would you inspire me to get the borders on? : )

Mary said...

Listen to the quilt. it is going to wait while you finish up the Orca Bay that is closer to being done. I'm still choosing fabrics for the Celtic Solstice. Gotta find a tote to put it all in so I'm read to start.

audrey said...

It really is a gorgeous quilt. Why is it that some quilts are harder to work on than others though? With me it's not that I like them any less. I sometimes wonder if it's because I already know how they're going to look so it's not as exciting to me to get the work done!

Jeanne said...

Some quilts just need more 'sitting' time than others. You're way ahead of me with Roll, Cotton Boll. I stopped halfway through the string blocks. LOL

Ramona said...

I am working on a quilt using "Grace" by 3 sisters, too. I love the colors and yours is beautiful!
Have fun with the next mystery quilt.

Melissa said...

Good decision to jump projects! I do that ALL the time!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

It isn't good to work on something when your heart is not in it. I also agree that if you finish those that are close to be finished you may get the whole ball rolling. It is a such a pretty quilt, I know I will see it completed someday!