Monday, March 11, 2013

Design Wall #10 - Alamo Stars

Each month over at the Rainbow Challenge I have been making different coloured Alamo Star blocks and just couldn't resist putting them up on the design wall to see how many blocks I have made so far, and to see how they are going to look together.
So far there are 48 blocks done and they measure 2.25" each.
And I must say... that's a lot of pink! I definitely need to knock it off with the pink and beef up some of the other colours. 
The colour this month is orange, so there will be 10 more blocks with orange coming soon.
I am making these as leader/ender blocks.
If you don't have a leader/ender project, trust me you NEED (at least) one! You save thread, and you are always making a "bonus" quilt in between other projects.
Reading Bonnie's book called Adventures with Leaders and Enders was life changing for my scraps. Each year I am getting a little more organized in terms of knowing what I will use and in what way, as well as how to store the different sizes and types of scraps. 
To see more quilting design walls, hop over to Patchwork Times

19 comments:

Ellen said...

They are adorable and oh so tiny!

julieQ said...

I do love all those tiny blocks!!! Bonnie has also been so influential to me, regarding my scraps. Have a great Monday!

Rosa said...

Rhey are jsut gorgeous and love your fabarics choice!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

LOL! I reorganize every year too, but never get any closer to being organized! I really like those stars, doing a few each month on a schedule would be a motivating thing. I may have to join you over there at Rainbow!

Wendy said...

I need to start one of those projects with Leaders and Enders, it's a good way to get organized.

Sheila said...

They are so cute and TINY! I have no problem with lots of PINK :D
I need to get organized and do a Leaders and Enders project.

Janet O. said...

Such itty bitty batik beauties! How large are you planning to make this?
I agree about the leader/ender thing! : )

Mary said...

They look great together, maybe a solid square of a neutral color alternated would make the pink less dominant. have fun with them. I'm a FAN of using the leader enders, even if it is justa leftover HST I cut off a binding strip. I have a tote full of those that need to be squared 'down' as Bonnie would say.

Kathy said...

Very cute! Yes, Bonnie Hunter has really helped me begin to put all my random scraps to better use. So fun to see what will come out of the scrap boxes next!

Marei said...

I had no idea the stars were so small. Holy moly! They are looking great and will only get better as more colors are added. I completely agree with the "bonus quilt" comment. It's my favorite thing about leaders & enders.

McIrish Annie said...

Your picture of the alamo star blocks clipped together made bells go off in my head! I have a project which requires 178 4" nine patches. I have lots and lots of 1.5 squares but wasn't sure how to organize. the picture of the clips was all I needed. THANKS!

Nann said...

I'm a great fan of L&Es. However, after I've L&E'd a bunch of units I often get impatient to make them into something so I just go ahead and crank out more. Your Texas Tears project inspired me last Christmas--I made 60+ of them as Christmas ornaments.

Linda said...

This looks great. I didn't realize they were that small. I love doing leaders and enders, it's a bonus and you get so much more done...I'm doing 2" squares and 2 1/2" Squares, eventually, they'll be a quilt.

Jeanne said...

That is going to be a happy quilt! Keep making those stars.

Lesley said...

Your Alamo Stars are perfect for the Rainbow Challenge! What a quilt you will have!

AnnieO said...

A lot of pink but also plenty of other happy colors to see! Tiny blocks indeed.

Leader-enders are great. I like using parts of quilts that I need assembled for my leader-enders as well. Right now I'm doing a pieced border for a BOM!

Katie Z. said...

Beautiful!

Kate said...

I like these blocks more each time I see them. They look great all together. This one may have to go on the bucket list.

Anonymous said...

Another book for my 'to-read' list . . . sigh. I have decided to put off leaving this plane until all my lists are crossed-off. At this rate . . . ~ Linne