Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Counting my Blessings!

This is a gratitude post! Thank you for all the wonderful messages left on my 1,000th blog posting!
You are all wonderful scraps in my life quilt :)
I have a few big "shout outs" to share today...
*I received this package of fabric from Ye Olde Fabric Shoppe in Stratford, for participating in the May Shop Hop.
This is the store where the fabrics were purchased for the baby quilt that I just finished. I finally got back to the store recently to pick up my winnings...thanks Cheryl!
*I was the lucky winner of Valerie's 300th blogpost celebration draw! She emailed me a really cool pattern...check it out on her blog - Pumpkin Patch Quilter. It is a complex paper piecing pattern so that's another new project in the queue! Thanks Valerie!


*Look what I received from Jo's Country Junction! I won this layer cake for participating in the Quilt Square Quilt Along on Jo's blog. Thanks Jo!
Can't wait to find a project to make...do you have any recommendations for a layer cake project?!? 


*I received this pattern from Janelle at Country Matters, as part of her celebrations for having a block in the May release of the 100 blocks magazine. This pattern has two things I love to sew, flying geese and pinwheels, so I am looking forward to sewing a scrappy version of this project at my winter quilt retreat. Thanks Janelle!


*And...as if all of the above was not enough treats for a quilter to receive, I found this amazing quilt in my mailbox recently! It is a gorgeous, hand quilted treasure made by the generous and talented Miss Julie!
I have to tell you that I bawled my eyes out (the ugly cry!) when I opened this package. The reason for the tears was... long story coming... I was camping with my extended family, when the back anchor on my braces snapped off (at bedtime brushing). The wire was sticking into my face (I piled on the wax to prevent a cheek puncture) and I had to wait until the next day to drive the 2.5 hours home to the orthodontist. 



"This is your torture tray for today... 
the doctor will be with you in a moment...
brace yourself!"






I was able to get in immediately (the tears ensured that!), get my top braces partially fixed, and get spacers jammed up (I mean carefully placed) in front of, and behind, my porcelain crown. The glue was apparently not sticking to my old lady crown, so we had to go "old school" and they made the required preparations to anchor the top braces to a crown band.
If you speak "braces", you understand... that means pain!!
After the appointment,  I went home for a quick nap before the long drive back to camping. I knew I had to get back quickly because I was cooking and washing dishes almost single handedly (and missing my brother, who was too sick to camp with us for the first time in 15 years,  more than words can say) for these 9 crazy and always hungry teenagers (plus one more that wasn't in this photo). 
I was mentally and physically exhausted.
But when I arrived home for my nap, there was a gift in the mailbox...a sweet serendipity that I was not expecting. The kindness and generosity of my quilt blogging friend Julie (and the timing of the gift) was overwhelming!
My newest quilt treasure is now proudly hanging on my quilt studio wall, to inspire me and remind me of all the blessings I have received to help me through the tough (orthodontist and otherwise) difficult days.
Thank you Julie!

11 comments:

julieQ said...

Glad that quilt got there, and I loved making it so much!! Took weeks to get to you!,

julieQ said...

Hey, the real message is tht I am sorry you had a rough go with the braces, and missing your brother, and busyness in general....hugs, Kathy!

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky with the giveaways and things. We never realize how many people care about us...life's little gifts lift us up, don't they.You make me exhausted reading your blog some days!!!Take care.
Northern Blog Stalker
ScrappyNanna

Janet O. said...

You have had a fun mailbox lately.
Julie's quilt is very sweet. How thoughtful of her.
In 4 years of braces I never had that happen to me. How come you get to be so lucky?
Looks like you had quite a crew to oversee on your camping trip. Sorry your brother was unable to be with you--that must be tough, for you and him.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Congrats on all the wonderful wins and maybe you should buy a lottery ticket. Sorry about the problems with your braces.........scary photo of all those dental tools.....isn't it funny what we bloggers take photos of!! What a precious little wall hanging too!

Mary said...

You are good to be grateful! I have a suggestion for your layer cake. The Lori Holt Great Granny Square QAL. Yep, I'm an Enabler and happy to help you start another project. You got some fun goodies. 9 Teenagers plus camping and missing your brother doesn't sound too fun. I hope you can do some quilt therapy and go visit your Brother and share pictures from what he missed.

Kate said...

Congrats on all the cool winnings. Hope you've recovered from the braces ordeal.

Candace said...

I hope everything is better now. This post made me want to give you a hug, I hope you received a few from the 'teenagers' and anyone else who was with you on your camping trip. My brother is ill too, and I know how hard that is.

Candace said...

PS Your fabrics and patterns are beautiful and the quilt from Julie is amazing.

Carrie P. said...

YOu certainly are very blessed with all kinds of good things in your life.

Jeanne said...

You are sure on a winning streak and blessed with great friends. Sorry about the dental necessity. It did bring you home to that wonderful little quilt, though. :-)