Sunday, June 24, 2012

Relaxing Sunday - Hand Stitching

A new feature on my blog is starting this week and I hope that other people will join in. I am starting a Sunday link up to blog posts about hand stitching.
I wrote a blog post (click here to read it) about how much I am enjoying my hand quilting these days and would benefit from seeing other quilt bloggers who are doing some hand work.
And then I came across this inspiring creature while out walking by the river. This is a snapping turtle, and I watched her while she slowly dug a hole on the gravel path, deposited her eggs, and walked away. I have been thinking about her all week because she worked so hard, her job took so long, and she never gave up...just worked faithfully until her mission was complete. And then she walked away, having confidence that she had done her best, and having faith in the outcome.
It is a process quite similar to hand quilting. I just work away until I am finished - at the speed of a turtle. 
Slowly but happily...
making it up as I go along, trying my best, never knowing how it will turn out, but compelled to continue.
I am quilting a red and white block of the month project started in 2008 called "Quilter's Blessings". It has been on my "long term project wish list" for a long time, so it feels great to be making some turtle progress.
What about you? Are you hand quilting/hand stitching this week? 
I invite you to sign up for this inaugural hand work link up, and share the link to your blogpost here... 

11 comments:

Ellen said...

What a great idea! I will definitely participate - I hope to get back to doing some hand-piecing this week.

Unknown said...

I've got a quilt that pretty much all done--there's some hand-quilting that I want to add to it, since I've never really attempted it, but it was otherwise done by machine. I DO hand-stitch my bindings on, though, and I think I'll be working on that this week.

AnnieO said...

Lovely idea, Kathy! I have no hand quilting project in the works at present, but will surely in the future :) Enjoy !

Teresa in Music City said...

I'm with you girl!!! I really need to slow down and "enjoy the journey" so my stitchery projects are filling a nice need in my life right now. I love the idea of a linky party celebrating the joy of hand stitching, and hope to have something to share each week =^..^=

Carrie P. said...

Great idea! I have a quilt I need to finish hand quilting but it is too hot right now but I have some hand work I could work on and maybe join up next Sunday.

Jeanne said...

Geez, has it been that long? I've had the stitcheries done for ages, but can't decide on a setting. Better get going, huh? Yours is looking really good.

audrey said...

Okay, I linked up! I love your idea, but apparently I'm an idiot and can't get the picture to link properly.:(

Diane Kelsey said...

A great idea to make me do some more hand stitching each week. Love your quilt.

Linda said...

This is a great idea. Just the thing to push me to get my blackwork out and finish up the basket blocks I started years ago. See you Sunday!! ;o)

Lori said...

have you built a fence around her nest? how long until the eggs hatch? Did you see how many eggs she laid? LOL--I would have found that fascinating.

We often see turtles "crossing the road" and I know they are females looking for a place to lay their eggs.

My handwork goes very slowly--a big hand applique project I work on when I'm "in the mood".

Lois Arnold said...

I'm glad to see Jo's starts -- she figured out how to link up! This looks like fun, but I'm not hand quilting at the moment. Hand piecing, yes, but its way over 100 here and hand quilting in the summer in AZ isn't so much fun!