Friday, June 29, 2012

June Free Motion Challenge Report

I have completed the June lesson for the Free Motion Quilting Challenge by Cindy Needham. It was a very extensive lesson, and took by far more time than the previous lessons...all great information, and opportunities to try new things. I enjoyed Cindy's ideas on learning how to work with the sound of your machine. First we were to practice three basic shapes - repetitive lines, circles and the S curve, and then try the "divide and conquer" exercise. Here is my sketch book practice. FUN! Okay...time to quilt it!
Then all of a sudden...panic set in. 
I enjoyed the pencil work, but wasn't ready to start the quilting. 
Next step... procrastinate! Got a cup of tea, decided to paint a new piece of fabric to quilt on, and tried a new resist technique using Elmer glue (from LuAnn's blog), which worked out really well.

Then, I cleaned up my sewing tables, and sorted out my thread box, and picked out a few threads to try. How many purple threads does one quilter need?!?
Waited a few days for the painted fabric to dry.  Did more pencil practice, had some more tea, and even resorted to trimming blocks for my Sweet Treats quilt!
Okay...what is going on?!?
Cindy calls this state "disequilibrium".
And then I realized that I didn't need to make my quilted piece exactly like my sketch...it's FREE motion, so just be FREE!!
And just start!
Wait...I need more tea!
No! Just need to be brave and make one line.

Good job!

Now what?!?! 
Yikes!
Just quilt one section at a time. Divide and conquer!
Breathe. Quilt another section.
Relax.
Keep quilting. 
No going for tea!

Hours pass...

And...voila!

Wow...that was fun!

Now what was all that procrastinating and fussing around about?!?










Here are my first six lessons. I am sad that I didn't use a darker thread on the yellow/orange block because I loved those designs but they can't be seen unless you get your nose right up them. 
Lesson learned!
You can check out more than 100 posts from quilters who tried this lesson at SewCalGal...scroll way down to the bottom of that post to find the links.

14 comments:

Ellen said...

Lovely work...I am a procrastinator as well. Once I get whatever task I was avoiding done I can't ever figure out why I left it so long. I think it really is mind over matter!

Janet O. said...

Very snazzy, Kathy! I giggled through your post as I recognized my own avoidance techniques. The difference is that you have done it and I still haven't!
After viewing your selection, I obviously need more purple thread! : )

Jeanne said...

Wow! Your quilting is fabulous, Kathy! Thanks for sharing the pics of your lessons. As for the rabbits, we used to apply dried blood to the plants and they didn't like that. The disadvantages of using it: it stinks and it needs to be re-applied after a rain. We bought it at a grain elevator. Also tried spraying plants with a pepper spray, but again it takes repeated apps to be effective. Good luck.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Ok...I need some of your tea!! lol
Your quilting turned out just wonderful..how did you relax enough to do that?? I am still so very tense...I do exactly what you were doing(besides painting)...lol. I will do anything to avoid my FMQ. why???? It's what I want to get good at....what is my problem??

Great job!!!

Béa said...

Very successful, bravo !

Teresa in Music City said...

Wow! Great job! I always intend to do the Challenge and then it never happens :( I love your resist "Quilt" - it's perfect!

Cathy said...

It's wonderful!! It looks like one of those zentangle designs.

Judy D in WA said...

You are so funny! Your design is fabulous. And a girl can never have too many purple threads. ;)

Amy said...

A+ girl! Superb!

sherry said...

way to go with conquering the disequilibrium...making the shift from the left brain to the right brain...to the creative side...hurts to do that but as we work at it it does get easier to make that shift and faster ...this is what you see in most good artists is they can make that shift fast...look at the book drawing on the right side of the brain..it talks about this very thing

Tina said...

Beautiful. Love your fabrics also.

Kate said...

Beautiful work! Love that you are showing casing your last effort as part of your header. Congrats on getting past your stall zone!

What Comes Next? said...

beautiful job! Sometimes that first line is the hgardest!

Helen in the UK said...

What a wonderful job you've done on the quilting!! I see from your post and some of the comments that we are all as bad as each other at stalling over something we "THINK" might be difficult or challenging. We need to feel the fear and do it anyway!! Congrats :)