Saturday, December 03, 2011

November UFO Report

Did you happen to see that I announced a finished project this week, so that the news that I hadn't yet finished my November UFO wouldn't be as noticeable?!? You didn't even notice, did you, so why did I even bring it up!?! LOL
I pieced the scrappy backing early in the month, and then the project sat and waited.









I got the border sewn on mid November and slowly pin basted at the pace of a snail. Part of the lack of motivation was that the light on my sewing machine burned out, so it was impossible to machine quilt until that was replaced. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
I quilted a very boring stitch in the ditch grid, and then some feather quilting on the border. But there was a lot of "pleating" going on, which resulted in a) the frequent use of the stitch ripper and b) a much later than anticipated finish
However...a finished quilt is a finished quilt, and I am happy to announce it's finally done, even if it's a bit past the November deadline! These are half of the blocks from Quiltville's Carolina Christmas from 2009 (pattern not available)...the blocks are called "fox and geese".  I know I also sewed the pointsettia star blocks for this mystery, but can't locate them. I guess they will become their own quilt when they are found!
And here is the finished quilt...
being modeled by 2 of the students in my feather quilting class today. 
These quilters did a great job with their feathers (better than I did on the border of this UFO!)
To see more finished UFO's, hop over to Patchwork Times.

14 comments:

Janet O. said...

Ah, feathers. The last session of my machine quilting class last month covered feathers. That is something that is going to take a whole lot more practice!!
I like what you have done with your Carolina Christmas blocks. Funny that the others can't be found. (Maybe not funny to you.)

scraphappy said...

Good luck finding the other set of blocks. Sometimes they hide in the funniest places. Congratulations on another finish. You'll be out od ufo's before you know it:)

The Cozy Quilter said...

Yeah for you! Those blocks are so pretty! I just have to put the binding on my CC and then it will be done.

Kate said...

It's done, so better late than never. The quilt looks gorgeous, love the colors and the blocks.

Katie said...

That is such a beautiful quilt. I wish I'd known about it when it was going on so I could have made one too! Congrats on the finish. Enjoy it, even if has a few pleats - it will still keep you warm, right? :)

Heather said...

Such a wonderful feeling to finish something. I finished some pillow cases this week along with a crochet afghan .

Cathy said...

Gorgeous blocks. I like that Fox and Goose pattern. And done is better than perfect, and there is no such thing as perfect, anyway. And it looks fabulous. Great job getting it done. Finished feel sooooooo good.

Elaine Adair said...

It's LOVELY! The spring green is a delightful change - bright and fresh. And, the little pleats will disappear when it's used, and/or washed. Yeah - DONE!

AnnieO said...

Persevering in the face of quilty adversity--rock on! I like these blocks very much and they make a dynamic quilt. Congrats on another UFO finish. I did not even look at mine once. Sigh.

Diane said...

very pretty quilt-and better later than never glad you got it done.

Helen in the UK said...

Who cares if it is a little late - it's finished and looking beautiful!! Thanks is what matters :)

Ellen said...

Very pretty quilt! Practicing my machine quilting skills - that is exactly what I hope to work on next year.

Heather said...

It's gorgeous! Congratulations on a beautiful finish! :o)

kwiltnkats said...

Glad you got this done. Bonnie's pattern can be found in her third book. Hope you find the poinsetta blocks and you are right they'll make the perfect quilty project when you find them. I'm still not done with my Nov UFO :(