Sunday, September 25, 2011

Quilting In Sections Class

I enjoyed a wonderful and inspiring day of learning new techniques yesterday! I attended a class called "Quilting in Sections" with Martha Schellingerhoud, who taught us how to machine quilt a large quilt in smaller manageable sections (on a domestic sewing machine), and then join them together using one of 3 different techniques. 
Just look at this amazing quilt that Martha made! She quilted the blocks, then joined them together with the sashing, and quilted the sashing...then added the final border!


I recently finished an old UFO that was a quilt-as-you-go, but I like Martha's techniques way better than the way I did it!



I had a little trouble at the beginning of the day with my little Janome Platinum that I only use for classes... look how it wound up the bobbin!


And then when I was machine quilting one of my blocks, the backing folded back on itself and I had to take all those stitches out! I hate when that happens!


But I caught up with the rest of the class and was able to finish the 3 samples of the ways to join quilted blocks together.
Martha was the most organized teacher I have ever taken a class with! She had step by step samples to see, and her class handouts are amazing. I am sure that I will be able to incorporate some of her great ideas into my quiltmaking! And the best news of the day is that I don't have a UFO from this class!

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Martha's quilt looks amazing! Your samples look great - this looks like a technique I need to learn. I like the option of using sashing or not!

Janet O. said...

I can't belief that is a quilt-as-you-go type quilt (I know--different method). My machine quilting class starts this Friday--the one you inspired me to take. Wish Martha could come teach us!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

It sounds like that would have been a fun class to take! I like your samples!