Tuesday, August 16, 2011

UFO Update - June Mystery

My August project #7 for Judy's UFO Challenge is her June 2010 mystery (click here for the free instructions).  It has been sitting in my UFO closet for a year now...waiting, fermenting, aging to perfection. This is how I hang my most recent UFO's. Some quilts even have the backing and/or binding fabric on the hanger with it. I got the idea from Karen's blog when she showed us her closet last year and it has worked well for me in getting my UFO's (that are on my wish list) ready to work on.
The border size for this month's UFO was determined by the piece of fabric I had purchased last year for the border and binding. First I measured the quilt and made the binding. Here it is sitting in my binding basket (with 3 other bindings all ready for other UFO's!) 
Then with the fabric that was left I figured out that there was enough to make a 3 1/2" border. Here it is with the border on (the photo only shows half of the quilt...it's a large quilt!) Now I have half of August left for the quilting and binding...easy peasy!

16 comments:

Butterfly George said...

OOO! I love this pattern and your choice of colors. I have to look for more info on this one in your blog. Beautiful!G

Unknown said...

So love your chices & that pink, of course.

Would you be so kind to leave a comment on my BLOG ONLY (no emails), for the Miracle Makeover fund drive. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored.

Have a beautiful week.
Hugs,
TTFN ~
Marydon

AnnieO said...

Sadly, I didn't get my Mystery quilt finished for last month's UFO beyond assembling the center, though I think I'm going to be able to add the three borders as Judy did, based on my calculations and the fabric I have left! Love your version--hope you feel the same way. I recall you were a bit dubious about it initially :)

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Love that pattern! Very pretty.

Janet O. said...

Great pattern and I love the colors! How organized your UFOs look. Great idea.

Janet O. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LuAnn said...

I love the photo of your UFOs hanging in the closet. It looks much more organized than mine piled in a clothes basket. Great idea!

julieQ said...

I do this too! I need to show my closet...very similar with all my tops hanging there!

Greenmare said...

what a great idea, hanging them up! of course that would involve cleaning out my sewing room closet............

Brenda Kay said...

Love the idea of hanging the UFO's rather than having them stacked on a shelf. Now if only I had another closet.

Liz said...

Really like your version of Judy's mystery. I printed the pattern and it is on the "I hope to make it" pile.

Mary Johnson said...

This is how I store my tops and backs waiting for quilting too. I love how neat they stay.

Kate said...

Very pretty colors in the Mystery quilt. Great organization tips. Maybe one of these days I'll get in the habit of making the binding right after I finish the top. It would probably speed up my finishes.

Karen said...

Your quilts hanging in the closet look much neater than mine do! Maybe I should work on that. But I would rather be stitching.

Wonky Girl said...

Ha, ha- I have a UFO closet that looks just like yours. It works well. I really need to learn how to use my HandiQuilter and get some tops quilted.

Mary said...

My Closets are all full of clothes. I didn't do that Mystery. I like your colors. I'm still working on the Big Star one from 2009. It's still UFO #2 waiting until that number comes around again.