Monday, August 22, 2011

Design Wall Monday #31

Thank you to everyone who left comments and suggestions for my hexagon quilt that I posted on my design wall two weeks ago. Commenters voted overwhelmingly in favor of the random placement, so why then did I feel the need to sew the vertical layout?!? 
I have no idea! But this is on my design wall today and I'm sewing the rows together. I guess it just feels more calming to me, and the random layout felt like too much work to figure out (funny eh? since it's supposed to be "random"!) I am adding a half block dark border on the sides, and a dark border row across the top and bottom. I also think I will take out the dusty rose coloured scraps since they jump out at me on this photo!
To see other design walls, visit Patchwork Times.

10 comments:

Kristi said...

I like this layout, very pretty and yes, calming.

Ellen said...

I think you will end up with a quilt that you will love! It's funny how sometimes you don't notice "things" about the design/layout of a quilt in-progress until you look at a photo.

Janet O. said...

It is your quilt, and no matter anyone else's opinion, you have to like it! I understand when you say it was too much work to make it look random. I stress over those type layouts more than anything. My daughter actually just lays things out and sews them up--I stand back, squint, rearrange, and then repeat that process over and over until I drive myself crazy!

Jeanne said...

Because it's your quilt! You need to sew it so it will please you.

Chris said...

Go with what works for you. I like this lay out a lot.

AnnieO said...

Random can be very difficult--humans are born looking for patterns :)

I like the ones that pop out at you! They are so fun to find in quilts.

Libby said...

*mmmm* hexagons.

Gari in AL said...

That's funny. I did the same thing, asked for votes and did what I wanted to anyway. But hey, you will love it and that's what counts. Looking good.

scraphappy said...

Asking for votes is always a tricky proposition, in the end it is your quilt. I like the stripes quite a bit.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

I really like it, and as others have said, it is your quilt. I really want to do that pattern!