Monday, April 18, 2011

Design Wall Monday #16

On my design wall today is a group project from my quilt guild.
In January I got the crazy idea to cut up the donated plaid fabrics, and make the pieces into Bonnie Hunter's  Nine Patch Split - to read about it click here. The block kits were given out to unsuspecting guild members and the finished blocks were returned last week. I made 2 of the blocks to test the pattern, 2 blocks need a little reconstructive surgery, and 2 blocks are MIA. But that's OK...I'll track down the missing ones,  and fix the boo boos, and soon we'll have a really cool quilt top! I love the orange plaid and have some leftover for part of a border.
Bonnie taught this project recently in New York - click here and scroll down to see many variations of this block pattern.
If you want to see what other quilters are working on this week, click here and go to Judy's blog...lots of eye candy and inspiration to get your week off to a quilty start. I'll be starting my week by finally finishing my March UFO...just sewing on the hanging sleeve, label and binding! I hope to post it tomorrow!

14 comments:

Sue Daurio said...

wow!!1 The orange in this quilt really sets it over the top! I love it!

Laurie said...

I love plaids AND split 9-patches (although I've never made one) so this is a winner.

Barb said...

Love what is on your design wall...

Cherie in St Louis said...

Wow, Kathy, I love the orange you used. It really makes the pattern pop and look wonderful. I've always liked Bonnie's split nine patch.

Robin Quilts, etc. said...

Love your design wall. The orange is perfect.

Sarah said...

I agree with everyone else - The orange makes this quilt. Gorgeous!

AnnieO said...

Nothing like complementary colors to shoot stars into a design! It looks great.

Jan said...

I remember when you posted a block & just knew it would turn out great!

Diane said...

oh I like that....and orange is not one of my favorite colors! But it's perfect for this quilt.

Barb in Mi said...

Love it - the orange just makes it pop! Read your story behind it - yes, every little bit helps for charity projects! It always amazes me how much you can get done when many hands join in...

Kate said...

The orange really works in that setting. What a great idea! Hope you find the 2 MIA's.

Gari in AL said...

I reallyh like your plaid blocks and, of course, the orange is perfect. Is there a plan for this quilt? I really like it.

Bonnie said...

Why is it I always want to do what you are working on??? But, I will be strong and keep at my own projects! The orange really pops -- love it.

Helen in the UK said...

Oh, I'm loving how the orange works in this quilt ... and I'm not really a fan of orange :)