Thursday, March 10, 2011

Journey of a Quilter - Block #8

One of my favorite sayings is by Margaret Mead:
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens (women) can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Yesterday was the 100th anniversary of International Women's Day...I celebrated by going to my quilt guild's 20th anniversary meeting with about 100 of the most inspiring women I know!  Their goal is not to change the world, but they do... 
by spreading encouragement and love and beauty, to anyone who is open to receiving it.  What a great celebration! I am so happy that I found this group of women about 15 years ago to help me on my quilting/life journey!
And speaking of my quilting journey....
I have been slowly (since last fall!) hand stitching block #8 on my Journey of a Quilter project and am so pleased to post the photo of the finished block!! The colours are washed out, but you can see the block and just look how many small scraps were used up.
Only one more block to go....

8 comments:

Kate said...

Very pretty block.

The Cozy Quilter said...

A very appropriate block to post to celebrate International Women's day! I am looking forward to seeing the last block.

Ellen said...

It's wonderful that you have found such a great group. Your blocks look great - love the "Be Happy"!

Anonymous said...

Well, Kathy, you've definitely left me in your dust. I'm STILL on Block 7 (that's because I've not worked on it in ages ... again ... but I am sewing / stitching / knitting something ...... just not currently on this BOM. I know you will win our bet on who finishes first. But, seeing your post inspires me to work harder!
Connie

Heather said...

This is looking wonderful.

I heard a story yesterday about a woman who started out with a $100. loan to purchase sewing supplies. She now runs several businesses and helps others. What a great difference a small bit made in her life.

Yvette said...

I love these blocks. You have done a fantastic job. I decided I am going to start mine next month.

Karen said...

I like the "Seam of Friendship" saying that is used for one of your blocks. Oh, so true.

Greenmare said...

oh what pretty springy sweet eye candy!!!! I almost forgot the snow outside! ......... almost. ;-)