Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Snowy Spring Day

It was a very snowy "spring" day here today.  Schools were open, but buses were cancelled. No...my son didn't ride his bike today! He got his bike tuned up once the snow melted last week, but didn't put it back in the shed, so now it's frozen to the ground and he had to walk to school.

My spirea bushes might not make it this year ...the weight of the snow has bent the branches right down to the ground!

It was so cold and snowy,  I got out some flannel scraps to play with.
At quilt retreat my friend Marjorie had thrown these blocks in the garbage. Some of them were already sewn together, but she was at the point of having made so many quilts from a bunch of fabric that she was sick of looking at, and just couldn't face it anymore. Somehow those blocks came home with me...they were so thankful to be rescued from the trash!
Today I had some fun working on a setting for the blocks and digging in my stash for some flannel scraps for borders.
Yes...I am avoiding the Indian Orange Peel curved seams! LOL Something tells me that you'll be seeing a lot of new projects on my blog in the next little while until I can face the peels again!

8 comments:

Kate said...

You had snow, we had grass fires, but sounds like we both got the strong winds. Have fun with the new stuff for a while, you'll be able to face that Orange Peel quilt again soon.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I feel like I need a change of pace from IOP as well. Maybe I will do some more work on my Blue Ridge Beauty quilt...

Cathi said...

Wasn't the snow today a rude reminder that winter's not quite done with us? I can't believe how much fell!!

Gari in AL said...

Snow? And it was 84 here. But at least when it snows it is easier to stay inside and sew.

Becky said...

Great rescue! Keep warm.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday's wind was blowing in the cooler air here and we are perhaps getting a few snowflakes as well. Spring is always fickle and can't be trusted in March to remain warm but I'll take the good days when I can get them.

Ellen said...

I am so glad you rescued those blocks - they deserve to be finished up into a warm and cuddly quilt.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

So not fair getting snow like that when you have been teased by the visit of a robin! Hope it melts away quickly!