Sunday, November 21, 2010

Mystery Started - Roll Roll, Cotton Boll

I have been a fan of Bonnie Hunter since I started reading her blog many years ago (and if you have been reading my blog, you know I got to meet her this year - click here to read about that adventure!)
I have played along with 4 of her previous mysteries and really enjoyed both the process and the outcome. I love mystery quilts and I love sewing blocks with lots of small pieces, so this is heaven for me! These are the 4 previous Bonnie mysteries I made:
Carolina Crossroads - started Jan. 2008 and finished March 2010 (why did this one take so long to finish??!?!)
Orange Crush - April 2008 and finished March 2009 (on my son's bed)
Double Delight - January 2009 and finished October 2009 (on my daughter's bed)
Carolina Christmas - Nov. 2009 (still a UFO)
I missed out on Old Tobacco Road and Christmas Lights, but I'm not missing out on the new one "Roll Roll, Cotton Boll"!
Here are the fabrics I have found in my stash to use so far:
It is so fun to look at this collection and remember what these fabrics were originally for.  For example there is a small piece of pink that I used in the quilt I made about 12 years ago for one of my nieces, there are lots of small pieces left over from my Saturday Sampler blocks,  and the pink yardage was a souvenir that my Mom brought home for me from one of her trips! This photo does not include the random bits from the strip bin of various colours that will be included whenever possible.
The pinks are brighter in real life and I might use the 2 fabrics on the left for the "constant" fabric and/or borders. My favorite fabrics are the browns that I have collected over the last couple of years...it's hard to find nice browns.
Today I finished sewing step #1 which was quick, easy and fun. Here they are pinned in groups of 10 and 1 group of 5 (just in case of errors, I always make a few extra).
Don't they look cute on my new pink Fiskars cutting mat? The mat looks cute, but it really dulls my rotary cutting blade, so I'm going to ask Santa for a new Omnigrid mat for Christmas.

16 comments:

Wendy said...

Your fabrics are great. I've never done one of Bonnie's quilts. I plan to join this one. I'm confused about the "constant" being red. You don't look like your going with a red as suggested.

Mary said...

I have the Magazines with the Christmas Lights pattern in it and I've printed clues to most of those mysteries too. They are on my To-Do list. I like your pink and green combo. I bought some Turquoise and brown I've wanted to make something out of...Maybe I'll just have to jump in and make this one as it comes like you are. These shouldn't take too long, before the next clue goes up.

Amy said...

Oooooooooooooo! LOVE the pinks!!!

Yes, I have done almost all of Bonnie's mysteries too! Haven't been disappointed with any of them so far :0)

Anonymous said...

Tell Santa I need a new mat too will ya? Funny cause Bonnie and I are friends and I've never done a quilt of hers...hers are gorgeous in person I can tell you that!

Gina said...

Love your colour scheme.

Love and hugs GIna xxx

julieQ said...

Gorgeous!! Isnt' it funny how different mine and your look...soft pink and hot pinks? I love them both!!

Deb Robertson Writes said...

Ooooh I didn't know she was doing another one. I did Orange Crush and it turned out amazing. I'm super tempted, really I am!!

Judy D in WA said...

I love Bonnie's mysteries as much as I love everything else she does. And I too am a long time fan but have yet to meet her. Lucky you! I love your fabric choices.

scraphappy said...

It is so fun to see so many people jumping on board for the new Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt. I've been happy with every one so far.

Linda said...

I'm not doing her mystery quilt, but I am a fan of her leaders and enders. I'm working on her pineapple quilt.

Candace said...

Your colors sure look pretty. I'm just starting to cut mine out and hope to finish today. Bonnie's mysteries are challenging and fun.

Susan said...

You seem to be having a wonderful time making that quilt........... I just love every Bonnie Hunter quilt I have ever made.............

Erika said...

Wonderful fabrics! I don't have many browns but enough,I hope, for this mystery. But I can always change it for black, have plenty of black.
We'll see.

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

Love your mystery colors so far. Everyone's are great though :) We need mini-me's so we can do it all!
Sharyn

merete said...

Thanks for visiting over at my blog! I can see that you made a lot pinker-paler choice than me, but I love what you've done so far (my stash do not have that much kind of light pink, I wonder why :-)

To me fabrics also store memories placed in time. The fabrics are not just pieces of texstile, printed, dyed and cut to pieces, no, they are small memoryboxes.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this mystery posting - I'm hooked! I'll be looking through my stash for fabrics.
Laurel