Thursday, September 09, 2010

A UFO finish

I just wrote a blog comment (don't you love visiting quilting blogs?!?) saying quilting is such a great hobby because there are so many different activities to suit any mood you might be in.  Since the weather has turned cooler here,  I'm really into machine quilting. I decided to finish up this quilt...I received the blocks and fabric for this quilt back in February. It was a UFO belonging to a quilting friend which was about 10 years old...the quilt was 10, not the friend! To see how I quilted the blocks - click here.
I finally decided to quilt a loopy design on the borders of this quilt. I wasn't happy with how this corner turn looked, so I took those stitches out and redid the quilting.

I am now happier with the quilting on the corners, even though some of the loops are a little wobbly. It was a fun and quick way to quilt the border.

When I needed a break from machine quilting (you know how your shoulders and arms get tired and you need a stretch?)  I sorted and cut dotty scraps for this quilt  and then pin basted a little on this quilt....making slow progress on each of these projects.
Then I'd go back to quilting the black and yellow quilt. I had enough fabric with the project to make the binding from the rest of the black fabric with a little of the yellow. And here is the finished quilt! The size is 58" x 77". It will be donated to the community outreach project of my guild which collects quilts for the Pediatric Sexual Assault unit at hospital.

8 comments:

Bonnie said...

Very nice quiltng. And, done with your domestic right? You do a great job. And doesn't it feel great to finish a UFO (even someone else's!)?

Quilter Kathy said...

Yes Bonnie...I have a Brother 1500...a real work horse for the last 10 years.

Cathi said...

What a pretty quilt -- I'm always in awe of those who can do any kind of free-motion quilting.

Karen said...

The machine quilting must be catching because I quilted one yesterday myself.

Gari in AL said...

I like the way you work, bouncing from one project to another. It is a great way to work and not get bored and yet get things done.

Susan said...

That is a lovely quilt. The coloring is exquisite.

Gina said...

Love the quilt now it's finished. Great idea for the quilted corners

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Ruthie said...

I love the corners!